Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bursa vs Adana lifestyles
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eclectic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:13 pm    Post subject: Bursa vs Adana lifestyles Reply with quote

I heard and figure Bursa, being so close to Ist., would offer a somewhat more cosmo choice in restaurants, shops and etc. than Adana, which is somewhat "isolated" from big cities, though it does have a surprising 1.8 million people. I figure Adana would be more Syrian-influenced as well. Whatever.........

Question is: what do you think are the advantages of one over the other in terms of hospitality towards foreigners, availability of goods and services, cost of living, etc.?

Any avid supporters of either? Any opinions at all, be they lopsided, biased, or just downright low-down-dirty-doggish, would be appreciated! Smile
doner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither are very cosmopolitan and all restaurants bar a few in hotels which you will not be able to afford on a TEFL salary will be Turkish. Adana is poorer and nowhere near as nice as Bursa. Bursa is of course handy for Istanbul but on your pay you will not be doing much travelling. Adana is cheaper but then it is further away from Ist.
eclectic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx Doner for that info as well. I also hear you can freeze your arsch off in Bursa, but not in hot Adana. Are cockroaches or mosquitoes a major nuisance in either place? Just wondering on the general state of the typical 400-500 ytl/month apartments in Bursa or Adana, if you've ever lived there you could comment on that I suppose. Here in korea there are alot more of both insects than I can toleratein the apartment complexes.
doner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insects are not a problem that I have encountered there. Bursa is cold in the winter whilst Adana is hot in the summer. Cheap flats come with the usual problems. The sum you mentioned will get you the nastiest of flats and I imagine you can work them out. Adana has a lot of power cuts.
eclectic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if Im offered 2000 ytl per month in either Bursa or Adana, would you think I could save half of that per month after rent and utilities? My wife and I will not be dining out or drinking or doing any expensive things. If I could save 1000 ytl per month I'd be very happy and satisfied. OK, I could tolerate even 800 savings.
eclectic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what's the cost of a a humble meal of lahmajun or stuffed grape leaves and salad for a husband and wife at a local, no-frills kind of Bursa or Adana restaurant?
doner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no you will just make ends meet Prices have skyrocket over recent years and electricity gas and heating along with petrol are really expensive. There is no way you are going to live on 1000 lira.
doner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eclectic wrote:
what's the cost of a a humble meal of lahmajun or stuffed grape leaves and salad for a husband and wife at a local, no-frills kind of Bursa or Adana restaurant?

Eating out is cheap but the following are really expensive:

rent
gas
electricity
going to a doctor or dentist
anything imported
petrol
monthly maintainence charge for flat
deposit plus estate agent fees
eclectic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's bad news for us. So what minimum salary per month would you say is needed to save about the equivalent of $500 US? I thought for sure that 2000 ytl minus rent/bills/fees would give a monthly savings of 800 ytl. 1,200 ytl is about $800 US dollars right? Prices must have really skyrocketed as you say, because I lived on $800 US per month in New Jersey, USA! My rent was $600 US/month, and between my monthly bus pass/cell phone bill/food bills I spent another $225 per month for an $825 US per month total expenses. I feel really depressed to think that I can't limit my monthly expenses to that same amount in Bursa. Sad

I thank you for the info, the insight, and the timely responses Doner! Smile
doner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need 3000
eclectic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3000 ytl in a city like Bursa ? Is that even possible? I have a BA in English, a Masters in an unrelated field (International Business), and 1.5 years teaching experience in Korea, plus a 40-hour online TEFL that involved no live classroom experience. WHat do you think I could earn in this case Doner?
doner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eclectic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again. If 2000 is the case, I better forget Istanbul. But 2000 in Adana/Bursa wouldn't be as bad I guess. Thanks again for all your info. I honestly appreciate it. Smile
doner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bursa is no cheaper since wherever you are living it will be in a cheap area.
chromium

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello people living in Turkey who have experience with Adana

Do you think I'd be able to save anything living in Adana on 2200 net TL without paying for accomodation?

I am not frugal, however, when it comes to going out, etc.

Is there much nightlife in Adana?

Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: