Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

what's going on with ESL in Brazil?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
J.M.A.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdl wrote:
icehockey23,
What do you consider to be a top end salary in EFL?

Brazil is not a country where one goes to work in EFL (and make money). It is basically impossible for a typical EFL teacher to get a work visa. There are many foreigners working as EFL teachers but they are either illegals or have Brazilian spouses. Their level of qualification is generally low and you do not want to know how much they make.

A top end salary would imply you have a really good network and qualifications and are in a position of responsibility. You must have connections either with universities, institutions or the EFL industry. Assuming you are some sort of Academic Coordinator in a good school (of which there are few), I suppose you might squeeze into the Brazilian upper middle class. 120 000 reais per year would be fantastic, but I would think 70-80 000 would be more realistic for someone who is in the aforesaid "very special circumstances". It is not common for foreign M.A. TESOLS holders to teach at university, and I'm not sure what those university salaries would be either (again assuming you are in a good university). This is not the Middle East. I suppose it wouldn't be impossible though. In any case I should put out a disclaimer that this is just my speculation!

Last edited by J.M.A. on Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
J.M.A.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdl wrote:
icehockey23,

A few of more questions if you don't mind?

How long did it take you to pick up your 'get around' Brazilian Portuguese?

Did you take a formal class?

Did you take the 'self study and a lot of social interaction route'?

Can you recommend any self study material that you found most useful?

Thanks

I'll have a go:

How long did it take you to pick up your 'get around' Brazilian Portuguese?
About 1 and a half months, but I am something of a heritage learner. But really I was learning from day 1.

Did you take a formal class? No, and certain aspects of my Portuguese suffer for it. I went the social interaction route. However I am mulling doing the Brazilian version of the C.P.E. , the Celpe-Bras, just out of curiosity at this point.

Do let us know if you have any other questions about Brazil; your posts are always intriguing Smile
jdl

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JMA,

Thank you for your help as well.

I am particularly interested/concerned about picking up the language quickly enough to 'get around'. Answers so far have encouraged me.
J.M.A.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdl wrote:
JMA,

Thank you for your help as well.

I am particularly interested/concerned about picking up the language quickly enough to 'get around'. Answers so far have encouraged me.

Are you coming for Carnaval? Very Happy
jdl

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, Will not be there til July......just doing some prep work.

Since I have been getting such helpful information here........I am going to push my luck. This is more lifestyle than work related sooooooo.

I will be moving to the SaoPaulo area and have two 'non work' passions; motorcycling and scuba diving. A couple of questions on each, please.

Motorcycling:
Does anyone know of any motorcycle shops in the area that sell used or locally manufactured bikes? (the new imports are very expensive)
Does anyone on this forum bike?

Scuba:
Does anyone on this forum scuba dive?
Is lake/quarry/sink hole diving a possibility inland?
Does anyone know a good dive shop and club in the Sao Paulo/Santos area.

I have done some internet searching on the above topics and in the case of motorcycles got no where pretty quickly and in the scuba area got a lot of standard tourist info. Any insider/personal knowledge as well as any links etc would be appreciated, please.

P.S. Thanks for the salary info. I will adjust my expectations.
J.M.A.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I`m not a scuba diver but I seem to remember it being popular in Ilhabela, a sort of tropical island getaway for Paulistanos on the coast of the state of Sao Paulo.
icehockey23

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Does anyone know of any motorcycle shops in the area that sell used or locally manufactured bikes? (the new imports are very expensive)
Does anyone on this forum bike?

I only do some dirtbiking here. I prefer to get around in a car but dont always feel all that safe driving either - Like most of Latin America there arent really many (any?) driving rules in Brazil but I suppose most of the world is actually like that. But a "moto" will certainly be more economical.

I would recommend getting a local newspaper once you arrive - the best deals would be in the classifieds but your Portuguese would need to be up to speed or local friend could help.

You could try the gringoes sight (there are usually not that many classifieds but the person placing the add probably speaks English)

http://www.gringoes.com/

Most large Brazilian cities have a craigslist. For example, Sao Paulo:

http://saopaulo.pt.craigslist.org/

Probably, the best online site would be the Brazilian version of ebay:

http://www.mercadolivre.com.br/home_visitor.html

But i still have a feeling your local newspaper would be the cheapest. You can always try and negotiate the price a little.

Regarding Scuba - I have no idea but I think it would probably be more popular in the Nordeste rather than in the south.

Cheers
jdl

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great help ice! Thanks. I now have a place to start.
J.M.A.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

icehockey23 wrote:

Regarding Scuba - I have no idea but I think it would probably be more popular in the Nordeste rather than in the south.

Abrolhos in the state of Bahia is particularly well known for its coral reefs. I`m sure you could find spectacular reefs in more than one state in the Nordeste. Sao Paulo probably isn`t the ideal place to go scuba diving, in the ocean at least.
jdl

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks JMA. I would look for some inland/lake diving in the area.

But as they say, 'there is no such thing as a bad dive....as long as you come back from it'
lahermitda

Location: San Francisco (previously Sao Carlos-SP/Belo Horizonte-Brasil & Osaka/Sapporo-Japan)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I taught English privately for a year in Sao Carlos-SP. I'm still getting emails from people asking for lessons even though I left last year in July. I think now you can charge around 35-45 reais per hour in Sao Carlos. If anyone is interested send me a message.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Brazil All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: