Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Considering taking a TEFL course in Peru

View previous topic :: View next topic  
qrdling

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: Considering taking a TEFL course in Peru Reply with quote

I almost made up my mind to go to Peru and, like everybody else, I have tons of questions.

- Can anybody suggest a TEFL course with a good reputation in assisting with job search? An organisation that will have extensive contacts with language schools and might recommend you for a position.

- What are the best cities to live in Peru? And what exactly do you like about them? Currently I'm leaning towards Trujillo as I have some friends there and they quite like the city.

I'm a 26-year-old Russian with a BA in Linguistics, teaching experience and a passion for teaching and learning languages. Am I the only non-native English speaker here?

Upd.: looks like the only place where all TEFL programmes are offered is Cusco. Any advice? All information is greatly appreciated!
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the thing that stinks. Most TEFL courses are in Cusco. Most jobs are in Lima. Honestly as far as job help goes. it's pretty easy to get a teching job.

BUT, you won't get a visa. And since you're Russian, it's going to work against you.

TRujillo has a TEFL course. There are some people in Trujillo, go to www.expatperu.com and click on general discussion and do a search. There are about five there.
Good luck
qrdling

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russians don't need a visa to enter Peru as tourists. As far as working visa goes, we'll see how it works out. Probably won't need one at all - border hopping is still an option, isn't it?

BTW, what did you mean not being able to get a working visa will work against me? How problematic is obtaining one (I don't expect schools to sponsor it for me)?

Thank you for the links. Most of them have probably been in the sticky post for ages ))

You left Peru only not so long ago, right? Have had enough of it?
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

qrdling wrote:
Russians don't need a visa to enter Peru as tourists. As far as working visa goes, we'll see how it works out. Probably won't need one at all - border hopping is still an option, isn't it?

BTW, what did you mean not being able to get a working visa will work against me? How problematic is obtaining one (I don't expect schools to sponsor it for me)?

Thank you for the links. Most of them have probably been in the sticky post for ages ))

You left Peru only not so long ago, right? Have had enough of it?

Yep, still an option. I'm saying that you'll be hard pressed to work at the better institutes and the majority of the unis are out if you don't have a visa that allows you to work.

Sorry, I meant that most places want to hire NATIVE speakers. I'm sure your English is great. maybe better than natives. But that's just what happens here.

Don't think the links have been in the sticky posts for ages. I just put many of them up.

Left Peru two weeks ago after nearly six years and went through diplomat, tourist, marriage visas, and finally citizenship.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Peru All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: