Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Has anyone been to Pekanbaru?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
derya

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 4:06 pm    Post subject: Has anyone been to Pekanbaru? Reply with quote

Please, please provide me with any info. regarding Pekanbaru. What type of place is it?

I have been offreded a job there and I need info. urgently.

Thanx

Derya
Mr_Gernit

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 3:09 am    Post subject: Working in Pekanbaru Reply with quote

Hi Derya.

Well I would be your best source on Pekanbaru as I work for the company in question and it is my Job you will be taking over Smile I have worked for Thames in Pekanbaru 2 terms now and I must say it has been a pleasure.

The management of the school is very well and you always get your salary on time. They look after everything for you. You will of course be sharing accomodation and you get the best room in the house (fully a/c). As for contract, you will get the same contract all of us get which covers everything (medical, insurance, visa, accomodation, working hours etc).

As for 24hrs teaching per week you are never expected to do anymore then that *there are times when I have not taught even 12hrs in a week and if this is the case, you still get your full salary if you put in the 40hrs a week. 24 hrs is part of the 40hrs). Most of the course materials (class slides) are already provided on our IVC (intranet service). I have worked for this company now for 4 years and they have always been genrous and fare, not to mention try real hard to help you, especially the staff here in Pekanbaru.

The staff here in Pekanbaru and the students (this includes management) are like one big happy family and every one gets on well. As for Pekanbaru, it is a big country town, peaceful and quite. It is really cheap to fly any where in Indonesia from this point (and I mean cheap). There are a lot of areas which surround Pekanbaru worth looking out (very beautiful) even ask Imelda (Imelda needs a lady friend here to go shopping with, as I am too boring hehehe) to take you to her home town which is on a very beautiful beach.

I will say it can get boring here at time until you make friends, however there are cinmas, shopping centres, bowling and billyard centre and western style places to eat (especially daves cafe a teacher who works here from bali, he is a top guy). There are time when they promote the school it will get busy and there are times it gets really quite. I even have time to go home at lunch for 3 to 4 hrs for a sleep before afternoon class.

Just one thing I will say, just don't walk around here on your own.. because like all parts of developing countries, there are kids which will try and hit you up for money on the street, but just tell them to p... off, they tend to be scared of westeners when we get mad Smile

I can say, once you settle in you will enjoy it here and your salary will go along way here, because everything is cheep, cheep, cheep and you will only pay for food and consumables.

If you have any more questions just email me on [email protected]

Regards
Geoff... Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: