Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where is the Olympic coverage??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yamahuh

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:56 am    Post subject: Where is the Olympic coverage?? Reply with quote

I missed the summer Olympics in 2008 'cos of lousy (read non-existent) coverage and now it seems that I'm gonna experience the same thing for the winter Olympics. Never mind I'll probably get to watch the re-runs this summer while I'm missing the World Cup...

Rolling Eyes
BigWally

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.thepiratebay.org + www.utorrent.com = GOLD

i'm sure CTV.ca has some coverage too
yamahuh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is there no TV coverage though - it's pathetic; the most watched sporting event in the world (give or take) viewed by billions - except in Taiwan where they're replaying the World Games from Kaohsiung last summer and womens snooker...

Sheesh.
dangerousapple

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have chunghwa telecom's MOD service, and it's on their sports channel every day. Some of it is live, but most of it is what they call d-live, meaning rebroadcast in the afternoon. The best part is they have second-audio, so you can shut off the ceaseless yapping of the Chinese commentators. But when it's hockey time I'll still download the torrents to get proper commentary.
yamahuh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOD?

Que est ce que c'est?
dangerousapple

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Multimedia On Demand. It's a digital set-tip box. It has an interface similar to satellite tv, but it's through the phone lines. There are a bunch of channels available in a several different packages, plus a ton of movies and tv shows available on demand. However, it's geared towards the Taiwan market, meaning 99% of it is still crap to watch, plus the interface is chinese only. But we get fx channel, fox crime, BBC world news and al jazeera, plus babytv which my daughter loves.

Go to any chunghwa telecom branch and ask about it. They are pushing it really hard. We got the service for next to nothing every month when we upgraded our ADSL to fiber.
creztor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have heard only bad things about MOD. I am sure it does have its use, like the Olympics, but overall it's pretty dodgy.
dangerousapple

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's crap, except for the above-mentioned channels, which are wonderful. However, for NT$99 per month there isn't really anything to complain about. But if or when this promotional price ends we'll cancel it. We only care about the fiber cable.
BigWally

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved the fiber cable package, we had that when we were in K-town. I think it worked out to about $25 CDN a month for 10Mbps service, home phone line, and cable tv service. Chunghua was great, next day installation, and I can't explain how blown away I was at how easy it was to be an English speaking customer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: