Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finding work in Bahia

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikealmeida

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: Finding work in Bahia Reply with quote

I'm currently an ESL teacher in San Diego, CA and have a ticket to Brazil for the end of August. I've never been to the country but think I would like to work in Salvador or Recife, or at least get out of the main areas of Rio and Sao Paulo.

I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for me in terms of finding schools to contact about possible employment or even just a Moving To Brazil 101 crash course for things i might not expect.

Thanks guys.
teacherdude

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:29 pm    Post subject: me too Reply with quote

I am sorry that no one here answered this thread.

I too am very interested in working in Bahia. Trying to get away from Rio or Sao Paulo.

I am a Canadian journalist, with over 11 years of experience teaching ESL. I have my CELTA.

I speak basic Spanish but no Portuguese.

I would love some feedback on job prospects and the best part of Bahia to live in.

Regards,
Teacher Due
icehockey23

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bahia and the Nordeste in general is a great place - I have only been there on holiday so cant really comment on living there. I live in the south and am tainted by my Brazilian friends' attitude towards the Nordeste: "great place for a holiday, but to work . . . work? nobody works there"

I am pretty sure that finding work teaching English there would not be difficult as it would not be difficult anywhere in Brazil if you are a native speaker. Making a decent salary may be as it is in most places here.

There are gazillions of Eng school chains in Brazil - for Brazilians buying a franchise for one of these can be more profitable than opening a Macdonalds - because they pay their employees shit for their Macjobs.

There would probably be more money in teaching privates (especially to corporate clients) but you would need time to build your network.

I know of one international school in Bahia:

http://www.escolapanamericana.com/

and one in Recife:

http://www.ear.com.br/

They will pay you a decent salary.

If you are not really concerned about money, I would go hang out in the Nordeste in a flash.
markcmc

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

icehockey23 wrote:

If you are not really concerned about money, I would go hang out in the Nordeste in a flash.

Why? I have thought about living in Brazil, but why the Nordeste, compared to Sao Paulo or Rio?
icehockey23

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Why? I have thought about living in Brazil, but why the Nordeste, compared to Sao Paulo or Rio?

Because the thread started by asking about Bahia and Recife

There is nothing necessarily wrong with Sao Paulo and Rio.
Also, I said "if you were not concerned about money" . Sao Paulo is a huge city with unbeliveably BAD traffic and often cloudy and rainy weather. Personally Id rather be enjoying life in sunny Salvador or Recife if I didnt have to worry about a job.

Rio would also be great, but IMHO - quite touristy and with endemic crime.
This would also be true of Recife and Salvador but if you travelled a little to smaller towns in Rio state, Bahia or Pernambuco it gets much much safer and often less touristy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Brazil All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: