Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ESL teachers in Leipzig?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gramage44

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: ESL teachers in Leipzig? Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm getting ready to move to Leipzig in a little over a month for family. Since I have family over there, getting a visa shouldn't be a problem (I've already had one in the past and worked in Germany, but not as an ESL teacher). I lived in Germany for 2 years previously and my German's fluent. I also have a BA in German w/ a minor in Criminal Justice and have experience in the IT/Business world. How are my prospects looking? I was wondering if there are any ESL teachers in the Leipzig/Halle region and what the prospects are there? How long have you worked there? Any contacts or leads you could reference me?

Thanks in advance!
Graham
gramage44

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, about how much should I budget for when I go over there? What I mean is, how long does it usually take to get your first paycheck from the time you teach your first class?

The last time I came over I was either living with family or studying abroad, so my financial situations were a bit different Very Happy
Leipzig Red

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:45 am    Post subject: hope it's not too late Reply with quote

Can't suggest a budget because it really depends on where you choose to live, but I can tell you that things aren't as cheap as they were say 4 years ago, especially apartments. Still real estate is still a lot cheaper than in bigger cities, especially those in the former west. ESL jobs don't pay very well, so although it's still better than retail, I'd guess that you'd do better making use of your IT skills.

If you are still looking for a teaching post, try VHS in case someone has dropped out over the summer, Wall Street, United Languages, etc. Looks like someone's in a hurry to find a teacher:
http://sachsen.kijiji.de/c-Unterricht-Kurse-Sprachkurse-Englisch-Can-you-TEACH-English-W0QQAdIdZ71265974

Good luck.
gramage44

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I actually took a job in the area around Erfurt, which isn't too far from Leipzig. I get a monthly salary and a company car, so it turned out to be a pretty sweet deal. Thanks for the 411 though, I'll keep it in mind if I do ever get to Leipzig....
Leipzig Red

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject: Sweet! Reply with quote

gramage44 wrote:
Yeah, I actually took a job in the area around Erfurt, which isn't too far from Leipzig. I get a monthly salary and a company car, so it turned out to be a pretty sweet deal.

Sweet, indeed. And things are not so flat down around Erfurt. Enjoy the rolling hills.
eslteachersnowwhite

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:04 am    Post subject: Teaching in Leipzig Reply with quote

I was offered a teaching job in Leipzig. I would like to ask your opinions. This will be my first teaching job outside my country. Are there any other teachers in this forum teaching in Leipzig? or anyone living there? How is the life there?

The school sent me the contract. Any advice about contracts? Everything looks fine but any subject that I should be careful about?

Waiting for your comments. Thanks in advance
Leipzig Red

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Teaching in Leipzig Reply with quote

eslteachersnowwhite wrote:
I was offered a teaching job in Leipzig. I would like to ask your opinions. This will be my first teaching job outside my country. Are there any other teachers in this forum teaching in Leipzig? or anyone living there? How is the life there?

The school sent me the contract. Any advice about contracts? Everything looks fine but any subject that I should be careful about?

Waiting for your comments. Thanks in advance

I've been here for 5 years, and I think Leipzig's a great small city with good quality of life.

Don't know about contracts cuz I've never had one. My fellow teachers (DaF and English) and I most often have term-by-term adjunct work. I would, however, stress that you should be sure you understand how the taxes are going to work.

Hope that helps.

ciao, LR
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: