Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Colombia Visa maybe?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hugeshark

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:22 pm    Post subject: Colombia Visa maybe? Reply with quote

I have been living and teaching in chile for almost 3 years.

I want to make the switch to Colombia, but have heard contradicting advice and facts regarding their visas. I have 3 years experience (mostly teaching business english), a BA degree, intermediate level of Spanish, and a TEFL certificate.

Is this enough to be offered a contract, or have an institute or university or any school help me acquire a visa? I want to work legally there for a year or more, and I understand I might have to dance like a monkey and run back to the US for some paperwork. But if they offer, I will take.

Also, I heard that when you renew your tourist visa and reach 180 of renewing, then you are required to leave the country for 180 days beofre returning. Is this true?

I greatly appreciate any advice or suggestions.
Hugeshark

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:55 pm    Post subject: also Reply with quote

Forgot a final question. I'm looking to live near or on the beach. I've heard great and horrible things about Cartagena. Any opinions? Santa Marta?
Kramer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Also, I heard that when you renew your tourist visa and reach 180 of renewing, then you are required to leave the country for 180 days beofre returning. Is this true?
The rules are that you cannot be in the country with a tourist visa for more than 180 days in a calendar year. And you also cannot be in the country on a tourist visa for more than 180 consecutive days.

By tourist visa, I mean the stamp that you get on entry as a tourist. That initial stamp is usually good for 60 days (although 30 or 90 days is also possible, it is almost always 60 days). Then, after your initial 60 days, you have to go to immigration (DAS) and extend it every 30 days. The cost is around $35 USA per month for each 30 day extension. The payment must usually be made at a certain bank and you bring the receipt to DAS.

The first time you get an extension at a given DAS office it is usually painful because you have to fill out some long forms and give fingerprints and provide pictures and paperwork copies and then come back again in about a week to actually get the stamp. If you go back to the same office for subsequent extensions, you usually only need to hand them your passport without pictures or paperwork and it is all done on the same day. At least that has been my experience at the Medellin immigration office.

Kramer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: