Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teach Kuwait or Oman-Pros/Cons?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lovehappens

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:12 pm    Post subject: Teach Kuwait or Oman-Pros/Cons? Reply with quote

Has anyone here experienced both Oman and Kuwait? It is time for me to make some decisions. I've narrowed down my list to Kuwait and Oman.
My goal is to work for an organized school teaching at a college level or adults (not children).
While I have spoken to recruiters from both I have not committed to anyone yet but am certainly going to be asked to do so soon.

I want to contribute, be appreciated for the hard work that I'm going to put into teaching and paid decently well for it. So far it sounds like Kuwait pays more but I'm hesitant because I hear working conditions are less than pleasant at more schools than not (rumor only).

Hopefully some of you have experienced life in both places that you might share within the last few years .
Because this might make a difference...I have a solid Master's, experience and am an American blond female in my mid 50's.

Please be constructive in your responses.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a related MA and experience teaching adults, there is no reason to deal with any of these shady recruiters. Apply directly to the universities that are recommended in the threads.

As to the choice between Kuwait and Oman, it is pretty much opinion. I have worked in both... and to me, it is Oman, hands down.

VS
boundforsaudi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oman has beer.
With Malice Toward None

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lady,
Congratulations on narrowing down the choice to the two.
Oman will, surely answer your professional attitude better.
By the way, what's a SOLID MA? An MA in subterranean rock formations? Will be very useful in Oman. Cool .
I mean your MA has to relate with your job ahead. Any degree with a 120hr TESOL cert would do. Google up Oman colleges and universities. You'll get all the info you need.
And, as the 'veiled' bounforsaudi said, Oman has beer, you can buy goodwine, have a lot of friends and there are lots of places to go to, and things to do.
Good luck.
Regards,
WMTN.
Arabian Hawk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oman without a doubt! Laughing Laughing
kazazt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saudi is awash with beer. wine and spirit.
boundforsaudi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. It's as awash in undrinkable moonshine as it is in incompetent teachers.
kazazt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the wine is quite drinkable and the employers get what they deserve
boundforsaudi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a year of homemade Saudi wine and its various infections, it's no wonder it's illegal there. If the current crop of English teachers had been around in Mohammed's day, they probably would have been forbidden, too.
kazazt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a symbiotic relationship between the home made alcohol in Saudi and the teachers. They both need each other.
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of us manage to stay in Saudi and never touch the stuff ! My excuse is that I had my fair share from 1962 to 1990.

As for the choice between Q8 and Oh-Man. I think you have to go for the Sultanate. Just do not expect to get rich.
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear scot47,

Your "fair share?" Well, I had way too much more than my "fair share" from about 1960 through 2002.

In fact, I'm surprised I left enough around for you to even HAVE a "fair share."

Kuwait for (maybe) more money; Oman for a much more enjoyable lifestyle.

But always remember: Oman is no island.

Regards,
John
kazazt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
Some of us manage to stay in Saudi and never touch the stuff ! My excuse is that I had my fair share from 1962 to 1990.

As for the choice between Q8 and Oh-Man. I think you have to go for the Sultanate. Just do not expect to get rich.

It must be tougher to use and abuse the sid on a KFUPM campus whereas on a deathmerchant compound it is the done thing and positively encouraged by the company as long as it does not impinge on the the God that is the customer.
lovehappens

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:07 am    Post subject: onward Oman Reply with quote

thanks for these responses. Water is my preferred drink with a shot of wine here and there.
I have a job offer and it is through a recruiter. I tried without the recruiter and did not get an offer so either I'm just not in the top bracket like those of you who have managed without a recruiter or I'm barking up all the wrong trees. (sniff sniff)The offer is quite competitive but airfare is included in the salary package.
At first I thought "no way" but when I started figuring out the numbers, it is a good package.
BTW I did negotiate the salary upward.
bedwiya

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject: Airfare Reply with quote

Even the lower-tier schools in Kuwait pay for the annual ticket as part of a standard package, not taken from your salary. You should also be getting either free housing or a monthly allowance. Housing is expensive in both places, and can eat up quite a bit of your salary if it's not provided. Unless you are truly desperate to get your foot in the door, I would wait for a better offer. You might share the specific package you were offered then people here could give you more sound advice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: