Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

If I am qualified and professional. do I have an edge?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mr tree

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think the EU distinction is necessary. I only have a couple of years experience of the Prague scene, but it's my impression that there are more British and Irish people here than there ever used to be, and because they don't require visa paperwork, employers are more inclined to take them than Americans (Australians, South Africans, etc.). Non-EU people are being squeezed out to an extent...

It is still possible - my American girlfriend found work in her first week here. but then, she is awesome, so that probably helped her Cool
smithryansmith

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr tree wrote:
i think the EU distinction is necessary. I only have a couple of years experience of the Prague scene, but it's my impression that there are more British and Irish people here than there ever used to be, and because they don't require visa paperwork, employers are more inclined to take them than Americans (Australians, South Africans, etc.). Non-EU people are being squeezed out to an extent...

It is still possible - my American girlfriend found work in her first week here. but then, she is awesome, so that probably helped her Cool

At the moment, an EU passport is an attractive lure for schools who want to avoid the headache of official paperwork. there are still a lot of non-EU people here. It just might take a bit more spunk to convince a school to go through the paperwork. I guess your girlfriend has spunk.
sarahrempe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:36 pm    Post subject: exactly as spiral78 said Reply with quote

spiral78: ****We didn't even screen anything from outside the EU ****

This is what I meant in my earlier post. EU citizens go to the head of the line for jobs-and it's not based on quals, experience, availability.

my earlier post was to simply point out that ANY advice regarding job searches, options, offers should include whether the person giving the advice has to jump thru the hurdles that a non-EU citizen faces. (this also applies to anyone with a local spouse)

Yes, non-EU people get hired, but try to be realistic with your advice.

Employers from Czech, Poland, Hungary etc... are still allowed to hire non-EU teachers but the priority is for EU people.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ANY advice regarding job searches, options, offers should include whether the person giving the advice has to jump thru the hurdles that a non-EU citizen faces.

Ok, so I qualify by your standards. Yes, for the Czech Rep I have a Czech spouse. But I have been working in the Netherlands on an exceptional visa for 5+ years now and am HIGHLY aware of the legalities of employing someone from outside the EU.

I'm also very sensitive to the fact that without my Czech spouse, my status inside the CR is very difficult.
RabbitWho

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I ask a similar type of question without posting a new thread?

Ordinary level degree + CELT
E.U. (Irish) Citizen
2 years experience teaching in CR (small town)
B1 level of Czech language

What are my chances of getting a decent job in Prague?
And decent jobs aside, what are my chances of getting a less nice job where I can just about pay my rent (it would be awesome to share a flat with Czechs) and buy food and have Czech lessons ?

And how likely would I be to be able to work in an actual school and have a classroom rather than travelling around every day to different companies? How much of your day do you usually spend travelling? I assume that is not included in your wage?

I am so torn about where to go next year!
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not the goddess of the Prague Job Scene, but I'm the most recent poster on this thread, so I'll answer as though you were actually asking me....but remember that I haven't worked in the city myself for a long time.

However, I have friends and colleagues who work in the city, who own language schools and who are involved with training centres. I keep in touch....and am there very often myself...

So far as decent newbie level jobs go, you're relatively up high on the ladder, beat only by those with similar quals and Czech language skills, but a year or two already in the city.

Yes, I guess you can probably expect to be able to pay for rent, and food, and Czech lessons. Assuming that you are applying in late August or early September in the main hiring season.

Working at an actual school minus the city travel daily...? Well, you will need to be there and networking to land something like that. It's just not the norm, as I think you already know.

As for travel and benefits - I haven't worked in Prague for a long time! But my friends and colleagues who do at least have paid travel passes....but yes, it can easily be a couple of hours travel every day.
smithryansmith

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ill second what Spiral says. You will have to deal with a lot more travel than you did in the smaller town. youll also be less of a commodity. A lot of experienced teachers working outside of prague make a lot more money than those in prague. fewer expenses, less competition, etc.

Rent is always the kicker. especially if you dont want to share.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: