Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

James Cook Language School
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spookyduke

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy - don't worry about the interview. They are nice people. Friendly and reassuring.

I'm sure after they have met you once you could do the lesson over Skype.

Not sure if the job is for me tho - involves travel all of the city and working with business professionals. Pay is ok - don't think I would find better being newly qualified in Prague but its still 'just enough' to live on.

Good luck.
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if the job is for me tho - involves travel all of the city and working with business professionals. Pay is ok - don't think I would find better being newly qualified in Prague but its still 'just enough' to live on.

Spookydude, what you've described above is the job for newbies in Prague. It's not just James Cook school - this is 90% of all the work available. Travelling all over the city, working with businesspeople in their offices, and making just enough to live on. It's The Story.
roywebcafe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi spooky

Already had one demo lesson on skype. The second lesson has to be in Prague but emailed them to ask if it can be done on skype?

Costs to just fly over there is 2 singles - cheapest! at �36 and �47 = �83

and i am on job seekers right now!!!

spookyduke wrote:
Roy - don't worry about the interview. They are nice people. Friendly and reassuring.

I'm sure after they have met you once you could do the lesson over Skype.

Good luck.
smithryansmith

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll just second what spiral said. For new teachers in Prague there is a lot of travel (but the city is easy to get around), and a lot of business courses and individual lessons. most schools give the public courses and courses at the school to experienced teachers who have been at their school for awhile. which makes sense. but that also means if you tough out that first year, do a good job, the better working situation/hours should come.
Praguegirl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've worked at James Cook since August and I'm really happy there. They provided me with a full schedule (~25 hours) from the begining and I always have the option to pick up more if I want to. All of my classes are small groups or one-to-ones.

They have a good support staff, a large resource library and assign you a senior teacher to help you through the first couple months and whenever you need anything. In general if your students are happy they leave you alone. You get observed twice but you get to pick the class so you know it's coming, no surprises. If you need to cancel a class you can arrange a make up with the students by yourself, no need to go through the school. You can take up to four weeks of vacation whenever you want. The pay is pretty good.

The main drawbacks are no health insurance and a really high visa fee if you need their assistance (though you get most of it back if you fulfill your year long contract.) There is also of course a lot of traveling and early mornings involved but you'll have that at any new company especially as a new teacher.

Overall I'm satisfied and would recommend them to anyone looking for a laid back, fun place to work! Also, the interview was no big deal at all, it was just me giving part of a demo lesson to one of their employees. She was really nice and it wasn't stressful at all...she also gave me some useful feedback:)
roywebcafe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had interview and mock lesson Monday. Went really well. offered me a job afterwards. But only part time until march. Had to decline until April since i need need at least a months salary spare to fund myself in Prague until i receive first pay cheque. I get a tax rebate in march. Its fortunate they recruit all year round.

In CZ accommodation is up to the teacher to find. JCL do help you to share with another teacher so i am told. In a way i am fishing for ideas. Still in Prague now and my return flight is on Friday evening. As thje low cost air lines are stingy about baggage i only brought a day pack so either way have to return to the UK if only to get rest of my stuff. But it looks like i am stuffed until April at least.
roywebcafe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh i forgot to mention they want me full time after March

roywebcafe wrote:
Had interview and mock lesson Monday. Went really well. offered me a job afterwards. But only part time until march. Had to decline until April since i need need at least a months salary spare to fund myself in Prague until i receive first pay cheque. I get a tax rebate in march. Its fortunate they recruit all year round.

In CZ accommodation is up to the teacher to find. JCL do help you to share with another teacher so i am told. In a way i am fishing for ideas. Still in Prague now and my return flight is on Friday evening. As thje low cost air lines are stingy about baggage i only brought a day pack so either way have to return to the UK if only to get rest of my stuff. But it looks like i am stuffed until April at least.
smithryansmith

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats
roywebcafe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smithryansmith wrote:
congrats

oh yes they told by email to leave until April but feel free to look for work!

Well have foiund a job in Germnay which includes an advacne and free accomodation for first few weeks. They even pay most of my fare dowbn there. its only for 8 weeks though
ovie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked for james cook for a year and a very good experience. Very professional and help you with any problems that might occur. I recommend it for anybody that asks me about moving to Prague.
iPetem

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there.

I'm about to have an interview with the JCL people for a role in Czech. What is this about a mock lesson? Will I have to do this on my first interview? I'm interviewing using Skype. What does the mock lesson involve?

Thanks.
mr tree

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in my experience, mock lessons are stupid and pointless, and an absolute waste-of-time as an interview technique. oh well.

at a guess, you'll have to pretend like you're teaching a real lesson Smile
TinSardine

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't agree more with Mr Tree.
vaughanwilder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have an interview on skype wth jcl very shortly. I need to design an intermediate lesson plan for a businesswoman. Would anyone know of any good links or resources or have any tips for such a plan?

thanks!!
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could do something with www.executiveplanet.com - I've worked with analysis of 'how to do business with' brits/canadians/usa-ians, etc that went over quite well. You could link it to grammar/vocab for making suggestions:

you should do/consider doing
you shouldn't do/consider doing

I recommmend doing/that you do
I advise doing/that you do
I suggest doing/that you do

etc.

A short clip from the above site could be interesting and useful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: