Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lima Metro

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hughesie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject: Lima Metro Reply with quote

I have heard line 1 (the red line) is now open for public use - what is it like? I bet its packed everyday? It's about time Lima had its own subway system! Rolling Eyes

It will be nice when it is citywide like the one in Buenos Aires.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: Lima Metro Reply with quote

hughesie wrote:
I have heard line 1 (the red line) is now open for public use - what is it like? I bet its packed everyday? It's about time Lima had its own subway system! Rolling Eyes

There is NO subway in Lima. They're working on 1 of the 6 lines. It's above ground. Their engineers can't figure out how to make it earthquake proof underground. They says it's impossible, yet Japan has a subway. AS does Mexico and they had a big earthquake years ago, and the subway survived.

There IS a working metro line, way way out in San Juan de Luriguancho, I believe. They only run it like for 3 hours on Sunday. Or when there are buses strikes. From what I've heard it's not in the best area.

Since it's been over 25 YEARS since they started. And they've said it'll take another 18 months just for ONE line (also, they haven't mentioned anytihg about buying the metro cars) And if you take into account that there will be a new president soon. . . .It might never be done. And you might have to wait another 25 years.

Also, the line will mainly help commuters. For me, it wouldn't help me at all. Its' basically on ONE street. That's it.

Last edited by naturegirl321 on Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:42 am; edited 2 times in total
hughesie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Lima Metro Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:
hughesie wrote:

Oh wow, you're funny! Please don't tell me that you're serious. There is NO subway in Lima.

Oh wow - don't tell me you have landed a uni job in Korea - they must be taking in anyone these days - people who can't comprehend simple English. Rolling Eyes

Read it again Einstein - I wrote 'I heard' meaning could someone on the ground confirm what I heard to be true or not - no need to be faecitious young lady! You have your work cut out trying to make a go of it in one of the most xenophobic socities on planet earth along with your non-white husband! Good luck with that!
sistaray

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: Lima Metro Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:

There IS a working metro line, way way out in San Juan de Luriguancho, I believe. They only run it like for 3 hours on Sunday. Or when there are buses strikes. From what I've heard it's not in the best area. And if you see it , it'll probably be the first and last time, because , well, might not get out alive. It's a dangerous area.

Since it's been over 25 YEARS since they started. And they've said it'll take another 18 months just for ONE line (also, they haven't mentioned anytihg about buying the metro cars) And if you take into account that there will be a new president soon. . . .

It might never be done. And you might have to wait another 25 years.

Also, the line will mainly help commuters. For me, it wouldn't help me at all. Its' basically on ONE street. That's it.

I have little faith it will amount to anything.

This is an extremely pessimistic view of the situation. It's disingenuous to suggest there's been 25 years of continuous work...only recently did sincere efforts to get it up and running begin again, after a long stretch of nothing.

The line mainly helping commuters, well, that's the point. Most lime�os take at least 2 buses to get to work, and this would reduce congestion immensely, especially along the Arequipa / Wilson / Tacna corridor.

I have a reasonable amount of faith that it will amount to reduced travel time for most lime�os traveling within their city, and maybe, the beginnings of a more sophisticated transit infrastructure.

And as long as I'm in argumentative mode, I'll say that when in Lima I had plenty of friends from Lurigancho...yes a lot of it is dangerous but like in all of Lima, it depends which part. Saying "you might not get out alive" just scares people into never leaving Miraflores / San Isidro / La Molina / Surco.
mattyd

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:46 am    Post subject: Nature Girl the Peruvian Pessimist at it again? Reply with quote

I have thanked the woman for the information she has provided in the past but i must say she can be a bit nippy! She bit me once too Hughsie when i asked a question. Welcome to the club. Calling someone funny who is asking for information is not helping anyone nature girl. Sorry about your bad expeience in Peru but i thought the board was to offer valuable information not to call people names and belittle people. I do hope you have learned something from your experience Sharon and i do wish you well in a country far away from here>>>>>>>>
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is that being in the honeymoon fase is one thing, but the novelty wears off. Peru has its good things. Property for example, we can buy cheaply and rent flats out.

All I can say is that this EL tran started 25 YEARS ago. They're supposed to finish one of the six lines in May, but they're not going to. I hope they do, but am worried about what happens when a new president comes in before they finish.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Peru All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: