Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching in France for a French native - good or bad idea???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cecilette

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:09 pm    Post subject: Teaching in France for a French native - good or bad idea??? Reply with quote

Hello everyone in the English teaching world!!!! Very Happy

I would be very grateful if you could help me with this.
I am very interested in taking the TEFL course offered in Paris and there are a few questions I am asking myself that I need to answer before I can make a decision.

I am a French native and I would consider myself as bilingual. I have lived in the U.K in Brighton for 4 years where I completed an M.A at the Univeristy of Sussex (and I also completed a B.A in English in France beforehand). During my stay in England I worked as a Foreign Language Assitant for 2 years teaching French in English secondary schools. I also worked in a graphic design agency in Brighton for over a year. More recently I have worked in a graphic design agency in Paris.

The question I am asking myself is whether being a non native English speaker and more precisely a French one would be a problem as far as finding a teaching position in France is concerned? I had a good look at several websites offering and/or talking about teaching positions in France and I could gather that a lot of French employers are looking for natives. So may I ask you the question: what is your opinion about this? I reckoned you probably are the best persons to ask! Do you think it is reasonable for me to consider teaching English in France?

I am currently traveling around Asia and I have met several persons who have taken the TESOL course and are now teaching in Thailland. I am going to observe a couple of their classes this afternoon to get an idea of how the lessons go. I also looked into the course paperwork and I think have a good idea of how the teaching methodology is organised.

Whereas I have no concern about my ability to teach English and to understand the needs of students learning English as a foreign language I would like to know whether someone with my profile (i.e being French) will have good chances to find work teaching in Paris for example.

I would really appreciate your help and hope you can answer my questions!!!

Look forward to hearing from you guys!
Cecile
sparks

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A French person who knows English teaching English to French people? No way!!!!! I can't imagine a single scenario in which this could work out.
cecilette

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparks wrote:
A French person who knows English teaching English to French people? No way!!!!! I can't imagine a single scenario in which this could work out.

Can you please explain???
Why make you say this?

Thanks
Cecile
cecilette

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what makes you say this?
bje

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparks wrote:

I have no idea why you might say this. I've taught in 9 countries over the past 13 years alongside local teaching colleagues who were frequently more effective teachers than we 'native speakers'- for various reasons. Sometimes they weren't, as you would find with any group of teachers, irrespective of their first language.

In theory there's nothing that should prevent the OP from teaching English to French speakers, just as occurs anywhere else in Europe- and with increasing frequency, from what I've observed.
sparks

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah,

I guess the sarcasm didn't shine through as brightly as I had thought. Of course, most of the English teachers in France are French. Ever go to highschool? I wasn't sure if I understood the OP's question.
bje

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Teaching in France for a French native - good or bad ide Reply with quote

cecilette wrote:

The question I am asking myself is whether being a non native English speaker and more precisely a French one would be a problem as far as finding a teaching position in France is concerned? I had a good look at several websites offering and/or talking about teaching positions in France and I could gather that a lot of French employers are looking for natives. So may I ask you the question: what is your opinion about this? I reckoned you probably are the best persons to ask! Do you think it is reasonable for me to consider teaching English in France?

Absolutely! It sounds as if you'd be an excellent candidate. I once worked with two French people who both had the Cambridge DELTA and were teaching English at my school in Prague. They were superb teachers and the Czech students responded very well to them.

I've never taught in France and can't comment on the job market there at the moment, but in theory you would be as good or better a candidate as any newly-qualified EFL teacher there.

Best wishes!
cecilette

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaaah I feel relieved!!
thanks for your reply. i really thought sparks' reply was serious...
and how diificult is it for newly qualified teacher to find work?
anyone knows the French market?

thanks for your help!
personae gratae

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by personae gratae on Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
cecilette

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so really, i'm not crazy to consider teaching English in France ( being French myself)?!!!!
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not crazy at all. Really, no worries - you will have a lot to offer that a native speaker can't match. You may find that high-level learners have a preference for native speakers, but it's a huge plus in a classroom of beginners through lower intermediate when you can use their L1 sparingly as needed to explain things.

Your international experiences would also be a value to businesspeople and others working in international settings. Don't discount a familiarity with cultural differences as an asset in teaching language.
cecilette

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your replies!
I have made up my mind!
I am going for this!
I start the TESOL course on 15th March in Paris!

Thanks again for your help!
Xxx
bje

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best of luck! Very Happy
rogan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One tip - do not speak French when teaching - it's a slippery slope that many have slid on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: