Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Diet and Excercise is Costa Rica -- Please Help!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Costa Rica
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cjm0162

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:23 pm    Post subject: Diet and Excercise is Costa Rica -- Please Help! Reply with quote

Let me preface this with saying that I'm not vain, but if I don't workout at least a couple times a week then I gain weight like a bear getting ready to hibernate for the winter! That being said, can anyone give me some good insight as to the current fitness situation in CR? I have read up on a few books but the only thing I can find is that everyone is really into soccer. Soccer's a fine sport but here's what i'd really like to know...

Are there gyms or rec centers there?

Are some parts of the country more active/healthy than others?

How hard/easy is it to find healthy restaurants/eateries?

Did you personally gain or lose weight after moving to CR?

I realize that it's up to myself to stay healthy and that CR can't do the work for me but I'd just like to get an idea of how active the culture is. I'm from Austin which is a very active and healthy city but I lived in Dallas for 5 years which is about 1/4 as active and healthy as Austin so I definitely had my work cut out! If anyone could give me some good insight/suggestions/advice it would be much appreciated!
jprimm

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please, I believe that one can stay fit anywhere in the world. It is just a matter of desire.. I am a certified personal trainer, ACE, and former triathlete so I do have a modicum of knowledge on the subject...Of course, there are lots of gyms, rec centers parks here as well as yoga classes...If you lived in Texas, one of the fattest states in the Union, you should know what works and doesn't work for your diet...There are tons of fresh fruits, vegetables and fish here and the meat is terrible...I hope this helps...
cjm0162

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply jprimm. however, I realize that it is up to me to stay healthy and not the responsability of Costa Rica, that is why I already said that in my first post.. What I am looking for is tips on what types of gyms I can expect, good fitness areas or trails, workout situations, etc.
valentine1116

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Staying fit in CR isn't that difficult. In San Jose, there are tons of gyms and spinning is very popular here. There is a big park called La Sabana that lots of people run where lots of people run in the morning. Like the states, you have tons of fast food places but fresh fruits and vegetables are really cheap here so it is all a matter of choices.
Shirak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:21 pm    Post subject: Staying fit Reply with quote

I am also trying to stay in shape - maybe we should try finding a yoga class or a sports team to join
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Costa Rica All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: