Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Via Lingua - Corinth, Greece - TEFL Program

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dpshakyamuni

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Via Lingua - Corinth, Greece - TEFL Program Reply with quote

I've seen this school mentioned a few times on the thread but I wanted to post a new topic about it as most of the other topics are outdated.

I'm a Non-EU (American) TEFL teacher who recently took the course in February of 2009. Overall, I found the course to be exactly how it is described in its advertisements and on its website. The course is 4 weeks long and consists of intensive grammar lessons in the morning that cover everything you will need to begin teaching TEFL (parts of speech, tenses, etc.) and how to teach them. The afternoon consists of practical teaching lessons where you are in charge of students of different ages and English ability levels.

While in the program, you will be staying in Vrahati, a village close to Corinth. The director of the program owns a house there. He lives with his family on the second floor while the first floor has been converted into a multi-bedroom apartment. You share this space with the other students which includes a full kitchen. While I was there my wife and I shared a room, two of the other students had their own rooms, and one room had two students sharing it like a dorm. Since I was there in the winter it wasn't a full program. While talking with the director he said that in the summer months the program fills up so every room is shared by students and he even rents an apartment in town to cover anyone he can't fit in his house.

The area is kind of boring. We were there in the winter so couldn't take advantage of the beach. However, most of your time is going to be spent on the course anyway. During the week you have classes and teaching assignments all day. On the weekend you catch up on your homework assignments. If you want to explore, there are buses that connect Vrahati to Athens and there are cheap taxis that can take you to Corinth. The director also organizes excursions on the weekend for people who want to explore harder to reach sights (or even bowling trips, which our group didn't partake of but he told us other groups did).

Overall, I would recommend the program. It taught me exactly what I wanted to know in the morning lessons. I had already been a teacher for over five years in America and Korea (both Public school and TEFL teaching), so the afternoon lessons didn't do me much good. However, if you have no previous teacing experience whatsoever, it's an easy way to be introduced to the profession. You'll get time in front of real students learning English and you will get feedback from an experienced instructor who will be in the room with you the whole time.
hellasnut

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:37 am    Post subject: informative Reply with quote

Have heard good and bad things about this course, but it sounded pretty good. Thanks for the information.
kazazt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A total con. Do the CELTA or nothing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Greece All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: