Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Coming to Thailand - I love it. Need some wisdom.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jo3box3r

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:47 pm    Post subject: Coming to Thailand - I love it. Need some wisdom. Reply with quote

Just wanted to say hello - I have been to thailand twice now. I come from Canada so my ticket costs about 30,000 baut every time I want to come there. I plan to learn the language and train full time martial arts. I train jui jistu and muay thai. I love the parties / puket / samui / full moon!.. even bangkok's disco techs are awsome. -If anyone has any thing for me. or at least some work - that would be great., pls let me know. I love thailand - and I just want to be financialy confortable. I have champaign taste on a beer budget. Anything would be appreciated. I have TESOL/ TEFL, and computers, MSCE, CCNA, A+, Net+ - woul dlike to do some import/ export? - open to ideas... hope to hear from you guys soon.. thanks
markoinbangkok

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously this is a wind up for April fools day...

Or the poster is a total arse!

The kind of guy who would hack his own forum and then say it's someone else to gain favour with the Boss Embarassed

Which is it?

Gringo Greg

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 2:26 pm    Post subject: Maybe not Reply with quote

He is the teacher that Thai employers are looking for! He will probably take their offer of 15000 baht a month in a 10 month contract. I invite the man to come on over and at the wages he earns, he will get to go to the discos just 1 night a month and he will be scrounging around for spare change the rest of the month as he tries to hit on his students.
jo3box3r

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:34 pm    Post subject: Good money Reply with quote

Well - I guess we all know now that there is not a lot of teaching oppurtunity in thailand then? Do you guys know of anyone that is making good money down there? Do they have a shop/ business? I just want to relax and work here and there, not worry to much about money, I would like to live good though.. I will have lots of money saved up, - my goals are to learn the language - train martial arts full time - teach for some money/ part time for the experience/ under the table preferred, scuba dive? - I have a friend in Ko phi phi that is a rock climbing instructor and a bar tender at night - he loves it, but ya, its hard to make huge money? -If anyone has any connections please let me know.
thanks[/img]
jo3box3r

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:46 pm    Post subject: pictures from thailand Reply with quote

Here are some of my photes from thailand about 4-5 months ago

http://ca.f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/richmond_guy01/my_photos

I will have some more pics up from my last visit there about 2 weeks ago.
Gringo Greg

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, maybe this isn't a wind up. You can make money teaching in Thailand. But you are not gonna come here like a vacation and live the good life. I have been teaching here for 3 years and last week I planned my 1st trip to the beach. Not enough money or time. Didn't go to the beach, I broke my anbkle instead. If you want to come to Thailand because you enjoyed vacations here, save your money and come live here like a vacation and don't bother working. If you want to work, in Thailand, then get a grip on the reality of teaching here.

Day-in-day out dealing with 50 misbehaving students who don't understand a word you are saying in a hot classroom where the sweat rolls off you constantly while you are stuck in a long sleeve shirt and tie. You have to deal with an overzealous Thai management who don't know what they are doing and deal with all of their special needs that pop up just when you are ready to go home for the day.

Get it? Smile Can you deal with it?

Oh yeah, being a tour guide/bartender is illegal in Thailand for foreigners.
khmerhit

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget Thailand. Nice place to visit, as you say, Gringo Greg. Now, HERE's a country to live in....

cambodia. try it and see. Cool
Ponce

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:30 am    Post subject: Teachin in Thailand Reply with quote

You shouldent have any problems finding a part-time/full-time jobe here in Bangkok, although...if you want anything decent you will have to sign a contract and most likely have to stay in Bangkok - kinda sucks if your looking to vacation on the beach. Your best bet is to start looking for something after you arrive. Your not going to get anywhere applying from Canada with your qualifications. Good Luck
jo3box3r

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:22 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Well I appreciate everyones help on this.. I am going to be going to thailand, and yes.. maybe not work.. I just can drink every night.. haha.. thats my problem.. I love to party.. I am just going to train martial arts full time. Looking for Jui jitsu, and muay thai. Thanks again. and if anyone wants to get together when i get to thailand.. let me know.. 3 months!..
Lautaro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have been to Thailand twice already for martial arts. I also dreamed of coming here to work and live the good life. Alas, I don't have a degree either so such a lifestyle is highly unrealistic. Btw, I also do jujitsu and muay thai. I'm from Toronto. I'm going to Thailand from May 2nd till June 30th. I'll be training in Chiang Mai at Lanna. How about you?

Lautaro
Wonder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey boxer, if you don't mind making less money than the people in and around Bangkok, you can certainly get a job near the beach. I was offered a job in Patong Beach, near Phuket, when I was on holidays last year.

The only catch is you have to take the teaching course, which is about 6 weeks and upwards of $1,000 U.S.

Who knows, this may just be what you are looking for!
jo3box3r

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 4:18 pm    Post subject: thanks guys Reply with quote

Actually.. things have kinda changed for me.. i am going to go to taiwan it looks like.. although I love thailand so much. I will stay in taiwan for a while... open my eyes to new things. and of course thailand will be my home.. but they also offer excellent training in taiwan. and they are not too far away from eachother. so I can go when ever I like.. long weekends etc.. or if I dont have a steady job.. I am trying to get a couple real estate things going on down in Canada before I leave? so we'll see what happens. I dont want to work!.. Cool - sometimes - no choice.. ok. thanks again.. and hope to see some poeple in my travels... moon party!.. haha.. who will be there??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: