Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do I get a job teaching English in Italy?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CKAB

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:06 pm    Post subject: How do I get a job teaching English in Italy? Reply with quote

It seems like such a boring, bland question but I honestly can't seem to wrap my head around it. My stats:

23 y/o male
Bachelor's Degree in Italian from the University of Oregon
No Criminal record
Caucasian, American
Able to get a dual citizenship from Ireland if needed (thanks, Dad!)

So obviously one of the few things I thought I could do with my degree would be to teach English in Italy. Should I go ahead and get my EU citizenship from Ireland? What else can I do to actually locate employers who want an English teacher? Should I call my old Italian professors? The only thing I'm not particularly interested in doing is flying to Italy and cold-calling, since I don't want to waste money for what could be a futile effort. Any advice on this one would help.

I know this forums isn't very well-frequented, but I hope someone who has gotten a job there can tell me how they did it.
Insubordination

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get your Irish passport. It will be much easier from there and check out tefl dot com for advertised jobs. Save up and go there but perhaps stick with companies who are advertising rather than cold calling.
stillnosheep

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you register at tefl.com and tick the 'Italy' box to be notified of vacancies there reply directly with CV and covering letter, not via tefl.com, as their system can leads to unreadable info being submitted to employers.

But first get that passport.
Shana Martz

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 11:10 pm    Post subject: Irish passport Reply with quote

DEFINITELY get your EU passport- it will make the difference between earning 10 euro/hour and 40-80 euro/hour working as an EFL teacher in Italy.
do some research, but FIRST GET THAT IRISH PASSPORT

English language teaching jobs in Italy's public schools-- scroll to the bottom for the listings.

and hurry, European funds for these projects dry up in 2013!

good luck Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: