Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best/Quickest Way to get a Call-Center job?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eclectic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:41 am    Post subject: Best/Quickest Way to get a Call-Center job? Reply with quote

LIst of call centers that regularly hire for that accent training or other jobs? Should one just walk in to the places there in Bangalore and Hyderabad and Madras, handing out resumes? And do they all start about 45,000 rupees /month? How much would a decent apartment rent be per month in those cities? And arent those the 3 main call-center locations in INdia? DO those jobs have high turnovers/burnout ratios? Why? IS is very stressful? Abusive? Any info will help, thx.
rockyp44

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:00 am    Post subject: cc work Reply with quote

Hyderabad/Secundarabad, Cochin, Chandigar also have Call Centers.

If you apply from within the country and are a foreigner, you will have to fly home to your home country and apply for an employment visa there. (go to indiamike.com/Visa issues) Salary should be above 45,000 if you have a degree and anything related to Ed., TESOL, MBA, etc.

If you are Indian, (or have PIO status), you will be offered less, even if you have a Canadian, British, Aussie or US accent. However, you won't have to leave the country, as you will be a local hire.

If the cc supports North Americans, it's almost always night work. British and Australian processes have some daytime hours.

India is stressful and the work can be if mgt. is bad.
eclectic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome post rocky44, thx a jillion. Well Ill be arriving from 2 yrs of teaching here in Korea, and will NOT want to go bakc to my home country to do all that crap. Now what>?

Go for unis instead? private lang schools?
rockyp44

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:13 am    Post subject: Alternatives Reply with quote

Universities have their own teachers. If they hire foreigners, I doubt you would be paid much more than $400/mo. unless you have a PhD.

Private language schools maybe would pay $200/mo. This is only a guess. A student gets maybe 40 hours of instruction and only pays maybe $60.

If you have certification, the international schools pay very well w/great housing and benefits.

If you come here and look for a job in a call centre, you might get lucky enough for the employer to pay for your flight back home so you can apply for the employment visa.
eclectic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guess the cert and trying for an international spot is best.
Nozka

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not %100 on this, but you might be able to get the appropriate visa in a neighboring country e.g. Thailand or Nepal. It may be worth checking into.
eclectic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you have certification, the international schools pay very well w/great housing and benefits.

Im getting a TESOL in THailand soon God willing, what kind of well-paying int'l school in Delhi would I target after that? What is "good" pay in Delhi, which I know is quite exopensive rent-wise at least?
oxi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What is "good" pay in Delhi, which I know is quite exopensive rent-wise at least?

Hope this might help you a little bit, Eclectic, but I'm about 6 years out of India.

My Delhi rent in Defence Colony was Rupees 15K a month. 1 bed flat, nice terrace. I earned 70K at the British Council. Most of my colleagues were mostly living in South Delhi between 10-15K. A few folk I bumped into were doing call centre work at around 40K. Dunno where they lived.

My Chennai rent was 5K, but very basic. I got some work at the American School for US$75 a day. Otherwise I didn't do much as I was only ever offered 200-250 rupees an hour.

Again - 6 years ago.

Would be interesting to know how much prices have changed since then.
rockyp44

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:20 am    Post subject: Employment visa Reply with quote

NO, you absolutely cannot get a 1st time employment visa in India. You must be in your home country to apply.

If your co./school wants u to extend, a new law is you must extend within India, which is a nightmare. Go to Indiamike.com/Passport & Visa forum for the threads on this.
eclectic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great info oxi and rocky thx a million. defense colony sounds pretty upscale there, 15k /month.

what are the requirements to work for the british council and why did you leave? 70k is a gret salary for india I think.
oxi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eclectic wrote:
great info oxi and rocky thx a million. defense colony sounds pretty upscale there, 15k /month.

My choices were limited at the time of flat-hunting. BC paid two weeks hotel then on your own. 15K seemed 'normal' as that's what colleagues often paid. I'm sure there's better deals, but didn't know better then.

Managed to figure out some of the districts friends were in, for closer to 10K-
- Janaki Puri
- Greater Kailash 1 and 2 (one of these was cheaper, can't remember which)
- Lajpat Nagar (cheaper area and great market nearby if I remember rightly)

Quote:
what are the requirements to work for the british council and why did you leave? 70k is a gret salary for india I think.

Minimum CELTA and 2 years experience. At that time most folk were coming in with CELTA and 4 or 5 years exp.
Salary was definitely one of the best I could see around. Unless you include International Schools, but they need you to have a PGCE.
I left as wife was studying in Chennai. I'd earned enough in Delhi to last a year in Chennai barely working.. sitting on the beach..

Enjoyed Delhi, but small problem was that having to work there meant not actually seeing it or India much. 2 day weekend was a nuisance as most interesting places to visit from Delhi require a day or two to get there.
eclectic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

will British COuncil take US ciotizens (me)? Ill be getting my celta in Thailand and already have 2 years exp. here in Korea. Also Ill be coming with my wife whose great grandparents weer INdian but were indentured British laborers taken to Guyana. We know about PIO card but dont think Guyana any longer has records retrievable from 1903, the place is in a shambles administratively.
oxi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eclectic wrote:
will British COuncil take US ciotizens (me)? Ill be getting my celta in Thailand and already have 2 years exp. here in Korea. Also Ill be coming with my wife whose great grandparents weer INdian but were indentured British laborers taken to Guyana. We know about PIO card but dont think Guyana any longer has records retrievable from 1903, the place is in a shambles administratively.

There's not usually a rule against hiring Americans at BC generally around the world. I've worked with Americans, Canadians, Australians and South Africans. But.... in Delhi BC hire teachers and get them official passports (semi-diplomatic). I don't know if that puts you out the picture, sorry.

As for the qual and exp. - I should have said CELTA and 2 years post CELTA experience.

I guess you can get in touch with them and ask what the rules are these days.
Nozka

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just thought it would be worth noting that there are loads of call-center jobs out there on the net - if you know where to look. I think that many of these companies offering positions don't have a clue about sites like this one, nor do they use the typical ESL jargon in their advertisements.
Try doing some searches using terms such as "English Trainer," "Soft Skills Trainer," and "Pronunciation Coach," and trying looking in the more traditional employment websites, especially those that are based in India. You will have more luck, I'm sure.
Happy hunting.
eclectic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx nozka, I will do it NOW! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> India All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: