Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

King Saud University Preparatory Year Programme in Riyadh,
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
illeanasky

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:27 am    Post subject: King Saud University Preparatory Year Programme in Riyadh, Reply with quote

Please could you give me some info. about the King Saud University Preparatory Year Programme, the students, classes, admin. etc in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.

Thank you
Kalima Shahada

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really should have done a search here on the topics as this has been done to death. Perhaps this thread should be deleted.

Anyway, there are plenty of negative remarks about the place to steer you away.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Type King Saud University KSU into the search button...

Choose "search for all items"

And you will get 14 threads... 4 of them since January... one of them has 114 posts. That should answer every question you have ever had and convince you that only desperation would lead one to accept a job there... IMHO

VS
illeanasky

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you
manowur

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That should answer every question you have ever had and convince you that only desperation would lead one to accept a job there... IMHO

That seems kind of harsh. I'm here at the moment and although it's not the most ideal situation, I'm sure there are places far worse.
desert_traveller

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

manowur wrote:
Quote:
That should answer every question you have ever had and convince you that only desperation would lead one to accept a job there... IMHO

That seems kind of harsh. I'm here at the moment and although it's not the most ideal situation, I'm sure there are places far worse.

hey manowur, its all right that you are there at the moment, but ... how long have you been there?
Kalima Shahada

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

manowur wrote:
Quote:

No matter where you work or how you make a living, there is always far worse, but how low do you have to go? We could go all the way down to the rubbish collector and even compare between them who has the worst lot in life. So why compare with the worst? And remember that your experience is yours and yours alone. There could be people who work with you who think it's the best place they have ever worked and others who thing it's the worst.

I think people are on here just trying to find out the best and worst things about the place. Since you work there, you could give a run down of negatives and positives of working there. Just saying that it's not the worst place, is not much to go by, really!
7168Riyadh

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:18 am    Post subject: KSU PYP programme Reply with quote

Quote:
Since you work there, you could give a run down of negatives and positives of working there. Just saying that it's not the worst place, is not much to go by, really!

Well said, but surely manowur is trolling...i mean after yesterday's meeting where we were told no vacation in April!! What next? There is always something next, on a daily basis. It's become a joke. From vaguely recommending the job for the money, to not recommending the job, I'd now have to say don't bother applying--no Feb/April break. KSU are directly taking control of the programme, a lot of students voted with their feet and seem to have left, and the admin's response is to hit the teachers--this is the severe dysfunction we are now facing.
Citizenkane

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's become a joke. From vaguely recommending the job for the money, to not recommending the job, I'd now have to say don't bother applying--no Feb/April break.

I'm pretty sure teachers did have a week's paid live in Feb?

But yes, KSU does seem to be going downhill fast. Before I would say that all things considered it's not so bad, especially as there are opportunities to pad your income by doing overtime. But it seems as though the negatives are starting to outweigh the positives now. I think it was always inevitable that KSU would seek to exert more direct control on the programme, and I wonder if it's true that Bell may be on their way out?
7168Riyadh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm pretty sure teachers did have a week's paid live in Feb?

Apparently not in future though. And this April's holiday is off. Teachers are furious. Do you really want to work at this place? Imagine no holiday from November through to June!
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only for the truly desperate, the naive and the terminally weird. You will get a better deal at TINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by scot47 on Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Citizenkane

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And this April's holiday is off. Teachers are furious

I'll bet they are.

Will they be at least allowed to take unpaid leave? I'm sure several teachers have already booked and paid for flights etc.
7168Riyadh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Will they be at least allowed to take unpaid leave?

Er, yes I believe so. I've seen a lot of airline tickets being waved about. Representations are being made to the university to reverse the decision, but I doubt they will do an about-face. If they don't relent then there will be a massive hemorrhaging of staff come the summer--perhaps 80% will leave.

To answer your other question, it's hard to say what is going to happen to Bell/Obeikan's contract. The university are moving aggressively to take control of the PYP programme, but will likely remain heavily dependent on Bell for recruitment.
robitusson

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Citizenkane wrote:
especially as there are opportunities to pad your income by doing overtime.

How does that work may I ask?
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How does that work may I ask?

Can't speak for other posters, but I know female teachers at KSU who used to work double shifts and therefore make twice the income. Not sure if the option still exists though, as this was at a time when they had fewer teachers.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: