Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching kids at real schools in Prague

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
muser

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:11 am    Post subject: Teaching kids at real schools in Prague Reply with quote

Am planning to move to Prague this summer. I'm a TESOL qualified Brit with 8 years straight ESL teaching experience. For most of that time I have taught at private secondary schools - the last 4 years as co-Head of English at a school near St Petersburg. I very much want to make the move to Prague and would be most happy continuing this kind of work. But questions a-many:

I am not a qualified school teacher back in the UK - hence the "co-" ceiling to my job title, despite having redesigned our entire English program myself and managed our teachers (including the other "Co-"). Will Czechs also be reluctant to hire a foreigner (yet another issue) who possesses no degree in education for a secondary school position? I do have other accolades, such as developing and managing a mentoring system (unrelated to English teaching) which led to my presenting at a national conference here last summer. Not sure if that will make any difference though.

What chances are there of me getting another management position, rather than a simple teaching post? (I never did DELTA but from all the reading I've done, and my experience, I am quite sure I could stand up against DELTA competition if given the chance).

Where can I find out about jobs at secondary schools, rather than language schools? I've found none advertised on the internet so far.

Thanks to anyone who might help.
Morris
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're targeting a very small market - most English teachers at state-run schools are Czech. You would most likely need some connections to land such a gig.

As for management positions, I think ditto on the local connections. This is simply a very, very, very competitive job market and someone new to the city is unlikely to land a plum job, when there are lots of qualified teachers who have paid their local dues and are known here already.

Come on over at the end of August - you're likely to land something, and you can work on something 'better' for year 2, if you like the city and do well.
muser

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:24 pm    Post subject: Thanks Spiral Reply with quote

Thanks for the response. I was meaning private schools as opposed to State-run (which I'm sure would require a degree in pedagogy) - but I imagine your answer would be much the same anyway.

If all goes to plan, I'll be in Prague for six months before I actually want to take any work anyway (studying film) - so perhaps that will give me time to make the necessary contacts.

One more question, Spiral - I will be moving with my (large) dog and seeking accommodation. First of all - are their parts of the city near open parkland in which I can let her run, while at the same time being relatively accessible to the centre? Any ideas as to how tough it will be to find an 'accommodating' landlord (be-bum...tiss! Rolling Eyes) - or are they rather anti-pets where their tenants are concerned? I'm guessing a place on my own will set me back about 350USD (being outside the centre) - am I too far wrong with this estimate?

(Promise to leave you alone after these questions!). Thanks once again! Very Happy
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, muser. No problem with questions - I (and others, too) are pretty happy to share info.

First, I think you're talking a bit low on rent, unless you flat-share. 350 USD is about 6,500 CZK today (I think) and you are quite likely to need to shell out from 8,000 - 12,000 for a place on your own. Prague's just expensive - and there's not a very significant distinction between an 'outer' neighborhood and the 'inner' ones in terms of rental costs. A flat in Skalka or Cerny Most or Haje will set you back about the same as one in Zizkov or Nusle, for example.

As for dogs, you've got the right person, as mine has lived with me in several different countries, including the CR.

You will need (probably already have) an EU passport for your dog. You can get this (if you haven't already) at any vet's office. He/she will need a microchip.

Negotiating a housing contract will require some help from a Czech speaker. If you're not working right away, you're likely to need a rental agent, and expect to pay up to a month's rent as a fee, with another month as security to the landlord and the first month up front. I would mention the dog up front, and bring him/her, looking clean and civilised, if possible, to any initial interviews.

All the Prague neighborhoods I know of have parks and are relatively dog-friendly, Czechs loving dogs in general. Many offer off-leash areas, which are clearly marked. Just be sure to pick up poop!
Note that your dog will need a travel ticket to use public transit, and a muzzle is required when riding. I use a really loose one, and the dog's comfortable. Trains, trams, metro, and busses are all dog-friendly and you'll see them around in most public venues, food shops probably excluded. Most restaurants and pubs are also OK with canine guests, but banks and post offices not.

So far as easy access to the centre, check tram and metro links. So long as you've got a metro or major tram stop within a reasonable distance from your accomodation, you've got decent access to the centre.
muser

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:27 am    Post subject: Stroke of luck on that question! Reply with quote

Didn't imagine finding anyone else who had a dog with them on these boards - especially so easily Smile That advice helps me loads Spiral - really appreciate it.

Am surprised just how pricey rent is OUTSIDE the centre - I hope that means that these areas are also quite pleasant (not the case in St Petersburg). I don't have a pet passport - Russia can't issue them - but my dog is microchipped and I can get documents to travel to Europe without a problem, but thanks for suggestions on that count.

Am amazed that I can actually bring my dog around me within Prague though - to some restaurants and bars even - that's fantastic!(she'll be disappointed about the banks though - I'll be sure to break her that news gently)

Ok - I've got answers to enough just now, thanks immensely Spiral - but if/when I know I'm coming for sure, there'll be a couple of other pieces of advice I could do with if you really don't mind. Sbohem for now.

Morris
mr tree

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, the outside of Prague is decent enough... as for spiral's "be sure to pick up the poop" comment, can you please tell this to the Czechs!! Sad
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lotsa Czechs do pick up - but the few who don't, well....if you multiply, it obviously doesn't take many irresponsible doggie owners to spoil a sidewalk!
mr tree

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as you say, i applaud the 99%. but the 1%... or specifically the one who boobie-trapped Jana Zelivskeho a couple of weeks ago... should burn in hell Evil or Very Mad
smithryansmith

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think CR is one of the most dog friendly places around. especially for gigantic dogs. A big dog will make you lots of friends with your neighbors and their giant dogs.

but ill second the wish on excrement.
muser

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smithryansmith wrote:
i think CR is one of the most dog friendly places around. especially for gigantic dogs. A big dog will make you lots of friends with your neighbors and their giant dogs.

but ill second the wish on excrement.

Great news - thanks. Am getting very excited about the move - really hope it comes off. I promise to be a model pooper-scooper too!

Incidentally - will the brownie points I win for having a dog quickly fall away when they learn I have been in Russia for the last 6 years (and my grandma was Russian - akbeit fleeing during the revolution)? Just how bitter are they still about Russia?
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. Interesting question. In my experience (12+ years now and with family and long-term friends who are Czech) there is a generally good opinion of Russians - and a less-good one of Russia.

Millions of Rusky tourists in Prague these days, who I think are generally perceived as a step up (perhaps slight, but discernable) from German tourists.

Bottom line - I doubt anyone will feel negatively towards your having lived and worked in the country - but I wouldn't wear my fur coat and toque, or my 're-elect Putin' badge, or fling Russian phrases around in public much Cool
mr tree

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a Russian friend, and he says that he gets on better with the expats than the Czechs and that he felt this was anti-Russian sentiment... but i got the feeling he didn't try particularly hard either Very Happy

yeah, i don't think they'll have any problem with you being a Brit who worked there. and to reiterate - dogs are a big part of life here - it's hugely noticeable compared to London! i love summer evenings at Letna beer garden, but there are times when it seems more like a dog's playground than a human's Very Happy
smithryansmith

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr tree wrote:
i have a Russian friend, and he says that he gets on better with the expats than the Czechs and that he felt this was anti-Russian sentiment... but i got the feeling he didn't try particularly hard either Very Happy

yeah, i don't think they'll have any problem with you being a Brit who worked there. and to reiterate - dogs are a big part of life here - it's hugely noticeable compared to London! i love summer evenings at Letna beer garden, but there are times when it seems more like a dog's playground than a human's Very Happy

I think most czechs prefer dogs to humans. Often I do as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: