Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

State School Salary

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kensei

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:35 am    Post subject: State School Salary Reply with quote

I've been approached by parents of a class at a local Czech elementary school to be a co-teacher to essentially make the class bilingual. The details are sketchy now, but it seems that it would be 2-3 days a week co-teaching with a Czech teacher about 8am to 12pm. (It's in Prague.)

The thing is, I have no idea what to expect in terms of salary. Nor do the parents I'm afraid. It will be a regular position at the school, but the salary will be paid for indirectly by the parents. Their monthly fees will go up to cover the costs. I've heard that each family might pay about 1000 Kc per month and there are 20 students.

Can someone tell me what to expect in terms of salary? I've only taught privates and preschool kids, both ages ago.

Thanks,

Ken
www.my-prague-sights.com
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know of a similar gig in Prague (used to belong to a friend) and she was paid 28,000 net monthlyl. 3 days @ 4 hours per day. Keep in mind that if it''s done welll, those are 12 pretty intensive hours!! My friend also has post-grad quals in TESL/TEFL, so I am not sure whether the salary numbers would translate if your quals are less. There was no Czech teacher in her groups, either....probably apples and oranges except for the hours and situation.
mr tree

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my old housemate taught at a school regularly but i don't know the full details. i know that it was basically similar to language schools, but it suited him better cos he was just hanging out with the kids. i think he got 18.000CZK a month and still had most of Thu/Fri free for private students.
Kensei

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your quick help. I was already assuming 18-20000/month so your thoughts seem to support my intuition. I guess it just depends on the number of days per week.

The other notion that the parents are floating is a stand alone class after school. Any idea what salary that might justify? I imagine it would be 1.5 hours for 2 days a week (15-20 students, ages 7-Cool.

Thanks again,

Ken
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would be less effective and I would try to encourage them to go with the first idea.

15-20 7-year-olds on your own? More likely to be babysitting than teaching Shocked

MORE money, not less!!
smithryansmith

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

15-20 kids. Im with spiral. it will be really frustrating and hard to get much done communicatively. Youd probably be better off in terms of teaching goals dividing the group in half somehow.
muser

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:10 am    Post subject: Nothing much to be learnt that way... Reply with quote

I agree that a large group of 7 year olds are going to learn very little from a class run by one native teacher (I taught a class of 20 Turkish 6-year olds once and it was a complete waste of time). I would consider talking to the schools about how you could be used more effectively - maybe by breaking the groups up as suggested already, but alternatively as having you communicate with the kids informally in other more relaxed, non-academic classes, or even between classes (assuming they have a pretty good language level already that is). At that age their brains are very much better equipped to learn through simple aural exposure than anyone older, and will respond really well to any kind of 1:1, 1:2 or maybe up to 1:4 contact that you have with them - 'well' in terms of motivation, attention and linguistic development. A lot of the results will depend on your being an 'approachable' character and your ability to engage their interest (ie be fun and full of ideas) - that and you being given time to earn their trust.

EDIT - just read you will be co-teaching. The only way I can see that working well is taking small alternate groups away to another room while the Czech teacher teaches the rest (may have been what was suggested already).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: