Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Arriving Riyad Aug. 2004 & wondering who will pay for Ho

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sigmuu

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 5:34 am    Post subject: Arriving Riyad Aug. 2004 & wondering who will pay for Ho Reply with quote

Greetings:
My wife and I will be returning to the Kingdom on Saturday August 28, 2004 at 00:10 on Saudia. We will be departing Riyadh for another domestic Saudi Airport at 14:35 the same day but after a layover of 14 hours and 25 minutes in Riyadh. It should take us about an hour we hope to clear customs at Riyadh Airport but what do we do after this? I have been told that I should go to Saudia's "Office of Passengers with Special Needs" and request Hotel, taxi, and meals vouchers. However, we will be in the Airport for approximately 14 hours so based on this time frame, will Saudia give us anything? I have attempted to contact Saudia to find out if they will provide us with Hotel, taxi, and meal vouchers but, and perhaps not surprisingly, they have answered none of my emails. Based on the above, here are my questions for the Board:

a) After we arrive, what should we do? Anyone with prior experiences in this type of situation who wishes to share them with us and the Board are encouraged and thanked in advance.

b) If Saudia is no luck for any reason, can anyone suggest a cheap but nice Hotel to us in Riyadh? A window on something, a private bath and/or shower and even breakfast would be very nice but we are open to any good suggestions. Directions, exact would be greatly appreciated, on how to get there from Riyadh International Airport would be greatly appreciated.

c) If you suggest a Hotel, can you tell us a fair and reasonable price in a taxi for from the Riyadh International Airport to this Hotel?

If you have any information and/or advice to share, please post on this Board, private message me, or send to the following email address:

[email protected]

Finally, references to other sites that deal with Saudi related issues would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 9:17 am    Post subject: SAA Reply with quote

The use of modal verbs, like "should" "ought" and "must" is very tricky in Saudi Arabia.

Speak to the counter staff at Saudi Arabian Airlines. They may give you a hotel room since you are in Riyadh for such a long time.

I would love to give you a simple answer, or a helpline number to phone. Alas, in the ME things are never so easy.
Doug Saxe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:54 pm    Post subject: On arrival at Riyadh Airport Reply with quote

You should be able to get a hotel room courtesy of Saudia. On the ground floor of the airport in Riyadh, there was in 2001 a shabby little room, not very well-marked, as I recall, something like "customer service." In those days, the standard was any layover longer than six hours qualified you for a hotel night. Meals at the hotel, excluding tip, were included. If you can't find the office, exit the glass doors on the first floor and ask the man in the information booth to direct you to the place where Saudia issues hotel rooms to customers.

When I did it, the freeway trip to the hotel was over thirty minutes, so my time between planes wasn't as slack as I expected.

The hotel I was taken to was on a par with a seventy-to-ninety-dollar hotel in the States, and was the first and only place in the country where I made the mistake of drinking water from a tap.

Hope your time in the Kingdom's a happy one.
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More than eight hours and you should get the hotel. I am presuming that your company is paying the ticket. I have known cases of travel agents selling tickets and getting a discount for not asking for stopover costs. It is only about SR60 to the centre of Riyadh anyway.

The hotel bill is the one to think of. Eating is cheap.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: