Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Foreign Teachers Susupect of Being Presidential Assasins

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Have you been questioned by police in connection with the attempted presidential assassination?
Yes
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
No
88%
 88%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 9

Aristotle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:21 am    Post subject: Foreign Teachers Susupect of Being Presidential Assasins Reply with quote

Any foreign teachers in Tainan or elsewhere on Taiwan who have been questioned by police in connection with the attempted presidential assassination are requested to contact SSETT at their earliest possible convenience.
[email protected]
jason_seeburn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Foreign Teachers Susupect of Being Presidential Assasins Reply with quote

Aristotle wrote:
Any foreign teachers in Tainan or elsewhere on Taiwan who have been questioned by police in connection with the attempted presidential assassination are requested to contact SSETT at their earliest possible convenience.
[email protected]

of course, it was the foreign teachers. Now I see it clearly.
MTurton

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it was a kindergarten teacher, maddened by the loss of her job when the MOE made it illegal to teach English in kindergartens, Leah Hobby Osvalt, who attempted to whack Chen.

Aristotle, it is April 8, not April 1. The authorities are looking for locals, not foreigners. What are you, some kind of pro-Chinese spy?

Michael Turton
Aristotle

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Aristotle, it is April 8, not April 1. The authorities are looking for locals, not foreigners. What are you, some kind of pro-Chinese spy?

Michael Turton

I couldn't agree with you more.
Why is it that the police have been interrogating every foreign teacher in Tainan and requesting alibis for their presence at the time of the shooting?
A.
Okami

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously Aristotle has been reading this off of forumosa.com.

While I do see you as a necessary voice at times A, you need to start thinking a little clearer and maybe think before you post.

Okami
brian

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have they stopped interviewing locals?

Are they solely pursuing foreigners?

No, of course not.

They are doing what is most likely the correct thing to do in such a situation - that is, talk to everyone who may know something. The fact that what you suggest is happening may in fact be happening should be seen for what it is, and not distorted to be seen as some form of victimization of foreign residents here in Taiwan. You have complained for so long that foreigners aren't entitled to so many things that locals are entitled to. Well now you get treated like a local and you are still unhappy.

As foreigners we choose to come here and in doing so we accept the laws of this land, no matter how much they may vary from what we are used to back home. If the laws here give the authorities the right to interview any one from the area under these circumstances then so be it. Eother accept it or leave the country.

I notice that you seemed that you were totally aware of this until someone raised the matter on another board. Since then you have been ranting and raving about it. I hope that your source on this is more than just a single post on another board!!
EOD

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think someone is blowing smoke. I talked to a friend of mine down in Tainan and she has not been questioned. She has lived there for two years.
MTurton

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Why is it that the police have been interrogating every foreign teacher in Tainan and requesting alibis for their presence at the time of the shooting?

Evidence that this has occurred?
brian

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MTurton wrote:
Quote:

Evidence that this has occurred?

The quote was made by Aristotle. You can be guaranteed that there is no evidence and as such he will be unable to provide any. The fact is that he heard it on a message board just as we have, he has added his name to it, and is now spreading the word. The fact that it may not be accurate never occured to him. It is persecution stuff and it is right up his alley. Aristotles society is kind of like the 'Apple Daily' of English language message boards, and we all know that you don't go to publications like the 'Apple Daily' for accurate news reporting.
Aristotle

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentlemen it was a question not a statement.
If I had hard evidence you would be reading about it in your email boxes and on numerous international teachers forums and publications around the globe.
This is the research phase. Usually you don't see this part of our process but due to the lack of any type of confirmation, a public inquiry was necessary. For the record I agree with all of you. To date their has been no confirmation public or private of any kind. There are however two public reports .
http://www.englishschoolwatch.org/webboard_detail.php?topic_id=623
http://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?t=16210
Not surprisingly this rumor started on Forumosa.com a politically biased mouth piece of both local political parties in English.
My guess is that this rumor was started by either the moderators or administrators of Forumosa.com to try to influence opinion of the foreign community and press.
Many people could have pointed this out to them but all voices of dissent on Forumosa.com have long since been silenced.
Give the process few more weeks and see if anything turns up. Sometimes it takes people a few months to work up the nerve to make a complaint.
A ruling will be made at an unspecified time on which course of action to take.

Good luck,
A.
Pop Fly

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aristotle wrote:
Gentlemen it was a question not a statement.
If I had hard evidence you would be reading about it in your email boxes and on numerous international teachers forums and publications around the globe.

Not the known Universe?

Aristotle wrote:

This is the research phase. Usually you don't see this part of our process but due to the lack of any type of confirmation, a public inquiry was necessary.

Don't you just love guys that talk about themselves in the 3rd person. Is this the first case of a guy using the plural form though?

Aristotle wrote:
Many people could have pointed this out to them but all voices of dissent on Forumosa.com have long since been silenced.

Again, do we need more evidence as to these psycho-babble neurotic rantings being evidence of some deep-rooted trauma. Maybe someone dropped A. on his head when he was a kindergarten teacher.

Hey, paranoid people have enemies too you know.
mjed9

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soz mate ... "our"

Not actually the third person though is it????
Pop Fly

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjed9 wrote:
Soz mate ... "our"

Not actually the third person though is it????

Ya, thought about that more myself actually. Its more like the Royal "We", isn't it? I think that's what I meant. Laughing

Which, from a psycho-analytical POV, is even scarier. Aristotle as Queen of Taiwan? The mind reels.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: