Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Plane Ticket to Prague?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ddixon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:18 pm    Post subject: Plane Ticket to Prague? Reply with quote

So does anyone know the best way to go about getting a cheap plane ticket to Prague if you don't know exactly when you expect to return? I'm going to Prague to teach in August and can't figure out how to get a ticket with a flexable return date. I plan on staying six months to a year. Should I buy a ticket to London then take a train to Prague and not take the return flight home? Surely someone out there has dealt with this problem, any advice would be greatly appreciated.
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you buy a ticket to London - note that plane tickets London-Prague are often under 50 Euros, way cheaper than the train journey. The downside is that you have to watch out for luggage weight limits - within Europe you can sometimes only carry 25 kilos total, versus 35 X 2 for overseas flights.

If you buy an "open ended" ticket you can change your return dates, but expect to pay a change fee, which can be 100 - 200 dollars.
You might also check flying via Frankfort.

Flying in August is going to be max expensive, so try to book ahead as much as possible.

Hope this is a bit helpful!
ddixon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 9:03 pm    Post subject: plane ticket Reply with quote

Will I have trouble getting in the Czech Republic if I buy a one way plane ticket from the US? I heard a lot of places won't let you in if you don't already have a ticket to get back home.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fly in and out of Prague multiple times per year on my US passport and have NEVER been asked whether I have a round trip ticket. I don't think you should have any problem - but I don't know the legal details as the issue never came up for me!
ddixon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 3:21 pm    Post subject: In and out of Prague multiple times a year Reply with quote

Thanks thats a relief to hear. Since your so familar with Prague let me ask you this. I'm getting a TEFL certificate through tefl world wide prague, hopefully in August, so I'll be done with the course in September and start looking for a job then, but what if I didn't leave until September and didn't finish the course until October, do you think most jobs will be filled by then? Or is it pretty likely jobs are available year round.
Thanks for the help[/u]
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The job market's gotten tighter over the past couple of years. I guess that by the end of Sept, the biggest inflow for the year will be complete - but if you really need to go later, and can afford to take a bit of time searching for a job, you should be able to find something suitable. It just may take a few weeks.

Further, if you're willing to go outside the city, the job market is much more open. For example, there are several very nice large towns within an hour of Prague....and the overall living experience outside of the big city can be great.

If you need a job right away, there are some big markets within a train ride. Poland, for example, is searching for teachers and you can possibly be set up with a job there before you even finish your TEFLW course, if you wish.
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops, maybe I wasn't totally clear! When you've finished your course and begin looking for work, I guess that in October it could possibly take you a few weeks to land a job. It's best to plan for this, just in case. You might find something right away.....
Outside the city, chances are you may get hooked up with something quicker. And sometimes there are schools searching for people currently on a course, for an immediate job start upon completion of the course. Recently, that's been happening with Polish recruiters.
ddixon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. I do want to try to stay in Prague if possible, but I guess thats what everyone wants to do. I'm shooting for August, so hopefully I'll be able to find work in September when I done with the TEFL.
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be fairly easy to find jobs in Sept, and TEFLW will help you. They've got a strong network in Prague and outside as well. I think you can feel pretty confident that when you successfully complete the course, you'll be ok there.
denise

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget that the turnover in this field is pretty high. Even though the normal academic calendar begins in September, schools may need replacements at any time. There are also business classes that don't necessarily follow the academic calendar. When I taught in Prague a few years ago, my school was getting new business contracts all the time. (Hence, we were constantly getting new teachers.)

Re. the plane ticket--it might help to call a travel agent (council or STA if you are a student) and just explain your predicament to them. They can help you get open-ended tickets, or a return ticket with a changeable date, or whatever else you might want.

d
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get open-ended or changeable tickets thru a travel agency, be sure to ask for details regarding fees charged if you need to change from your original return "guess" date. I recently paid $200 US to change a return date on an open-ended round trip ticket......after having been under the impression that the point of having an open-ended ticket was the ability to change it!!
ddixon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 5:16 pm    Post subject: one way ticket Reply with quote

I have found a pretty cheap ticket to Prague through STA but it is one way. Will I have trouble at customs if I don't have a return ticket and don't have a work visa yet?
patchwork

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check www.csa.cz, they currently have special deals on flights that are direct new york - prague

they also have direct toronto - prague and montreal - prague
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: