Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Celta in Sao Paulo inquiry

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basil Seal

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:53 pm    Post subject: Celta in Sao Paulo inquiry Reply with quote

I'm looking into taking a CELTA course somewhere in South America this summer. Originally I was going to restrict my search to the Spanish speaking countries but after seeing the prices for some of the schools in Brazil (around $1100, considerably cheaper than most programs) I'm reconsidering. To get to the point I'm just writing to see if anyone has heard anything about these two schools in Sao Paulo: Seven Idiomas and UP Language Consultants. Any info or general advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.
icehockey23

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done the CELTA through UP in Sao Paulo and it was great. I was quite happy with everything - I know people who have done it in Europe and Asia and paid (a lot) more and had some gripes.

I dont think the other school (Seven Idiomas) is currently offering it - so I think for SP - UP is the only option. My experience there as I mentioned was great. The only thing you might want to think about (as I assume you are not living in SP or Brazil for that matter) is that getting around Sao Paulo is not so easy and can be at times a little frustrating if you want any more info i can try and help.
Basil Seal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for the information icehockey, it helps a lot. If you don't mind me asking, was it difficult to find accommodations near the school? Did you find a teaching job in Brazil or somewhere else in South America? My aim is to be able to find a decent position that would also allow me to work on my Spanish speaking skills somewhere in S.A.. I'm not adverse to working in Brazil, but right now I feel I have to get my Spanish to a workable level before trying to learn some Portuguese. Did you know much of the language? How does one get around? Anyway, sorry for all the questions, and again. thank you very much.

Joe M.
icehockey23

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to stay with a friend for a while who lives in Sao Paulo. But had to leave so I ended up staying in a cheap hotel which was also actually fantastic but in "Cracolandia" ummm not one of S.P.'s finer areas and a bit of a bus ride to UP. For accomodation I think a good option is to try Craigslist Sao Paulo http://saopaulo.pt.craigslist.org/ the category in Portuguese is "subloca��es/tempor�rio" there are usually people looking for temporary shares - you can also try the http://www.gringoes.com/ site - you can place an ad there also. You can also talk to Giselle at UP who is very helpful. Near the school is the problem. S.P. is huge - the bus system is not actually that bad but the traffic can be a nightmare. My bus ride theoretically should have taken 23 minutes according to SP trans website - my best ride was about 50 minutes and my worst was somewhere near two hours. Sao Paulo has a metro but there are only 4 lines so it doesnt help much. The school has good hours though starting early and finishing early to basically avoid the worst of the traffic.

I would say that finding a teaching job in Brazil is not a problem but making a decent salary can be (Ive come to the conclusion that I require more cash than most people though as to support my drinking habit and beer is pretty cheap here). If you are seriously into improving your Spanish I think it would make more sense to go to another South American country and work - also dont expect your Spanish to help you out too much in everyday life in Brazil.

Cheers
lbussegeagan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm also considering getting my CELTA with UP. Seems like a good deal. I was wondering, since I won't have a car, if getting a bike is too crazy of an idea. I live in Los Angeles and there are parts of the city where getting on a bike is like a suicide mission. But I'm wondering, since I've heard such bad things about the traffic, if getting a bike to get around is a viable option. It would probably just be for the month that I'm training for my CELTA. Most likely I'll leave Sao Paulo after I'm certified and look for work elsewhere.

What do you think?
Thanks!

Leah
icehockey23

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: suicide mission

People in most Latin American countries drive uhhhh a little differently from the USA. If you are a pedestrian or cyclist basically you have no rights and need to respect cars and especially motorcyclists or they will hit you.

If you are used to this then id say fine but if you find parts of LA a suicide mission than I dont think riding around Sao Paulo is such a good idea - also you will need to bring it inside wherever you go or there is a good chance it will be stolen - I cant remember if UP had bike facilities but just ask them.
mmcmorrow

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit late for my reply I guess, but anyway ... I cycled in Sao Paulo for two years between 97 and 99. It was my main means of getting around. So, it's do-able. A few pointers though.

1) I had a cheap bike that looked pretty shocking
2) I rode cautiously - always with helmet, lights etc
3) I left it locked to lamp-posts etc all the time. On occasions I even forgot to lock it or left the keys hanging off the lock. Fortunately, with no problems
4) SP is very hilly. It's also humid - so it can be very sweaty riding around - useful if you have access to showers - otherwise it's tricky using it to go between teaching jobs. That said, I did have one job teaching the son of the owner of one of the big banks on Avenida Paulista. They arranged for me to park my bike in the underground car park, next to the big, armour-plated limos .. the student himself, frequently arrived by helicopter, landing on the roof of the building ...
5) I did get nudged by a couple of cars .. hitting me from behind .. and once cut up on a corner by a maniacal bus driver .. soooo, you'd want to be very comfortable riding in a hard-core urban environment .. otherwise, well you can always take your bike and pootle around the park or along the overpass called 'munhucao' (or something like that .. big worm in English) which they close to traffic on Sundays)

cheers .. Martin
International Student Podcast tinyurl dot com 6xy9hy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Brazil All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: