Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TEFL Academy
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lunkey

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: when are you going Reply with quote

spm200 wrote:
Hey lunkey when did you say you were going to go to Tefl academy in chile?

I'm taking the course beginning june 3 2009 Smile
spm200

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright i think i am going in Feb 2009 i was just curious
Lunkey

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spm200 wrote:
alright i think i am going in Feb 2009 i was just curious

keep me posted on how it goes! I wanted to take an earlier class in 2009 but I need to stick around Chicago and save money for a few more months.
chrislemess

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,
Anyone have any more updates on the TEFL Academy? I have a reason to go to Chile now, and am looking for some sort of qualification to at least boost my confidence in teaching grammar. Still debating whether the $1500 fee is at all worth it, but as long as this course is recognised around the world I'm kind of satisfied...
cheers
Lunkey

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check out this site http://www.allchile.net/chileforum/post14418.html#p14418
aeb123$

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 11:28 am    Post subject: TEFL Academy Reply with quote

spm200 - did you go to Chile and attend the TEFL Academy this past Feb? How was it? Are you working now?

Lunkey - are you still planning on going in June?

I'm hoping to go there in 2010 and would like some feedback on the school, jobs and housing.

Thanks!
ProspTeach

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject: Lunkey, did you go to the academy? Reply with quote

Lunkey, did you ever go to the TEFL Academy? If so, can you provide some feedback? I'm very interested in this program. Thank you!
zuzu39

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:20 pm    Post subject: TEFL Academy Reply with quote

My boyfriend and I are planning on moving to Santiago in August to teach English. I want to take a TEFL course down there, and I'd really like to go through the TEFL Academy. Does anyone have any advice about the Academy?

Also, I am concerned about getting a job in September when the class would be over. I know the prime hiring time is either March or April, but we want to come down there ASAP after we graduate. For anyone who has experience being down there, would it be better to wait until March or April, or would it be possible to find a job in September?

Thanks for any advice.
jakell

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: TEFL Academy Reply with quote

zuzu39 wrote:
My boyfriend and I are planning on moving to Santiago in August to teach English. I want to take a TEFL course down there, and I'd really like to go through the TEFL Academy. Does anyone have any advice about the Academy?

Also, I am concerned about getting a job in September when the class would be over. I know the prime hiring time is either March or April, but we want to come down there ASAP after we graduate. For anyone who has experience being down there, would it be better to wait until March or April, or would it be possible to find a job in September?

Thanks for any advice.

Yes, you *CAN* find a teaching job in September in Santiago. The issue would be not having much work in December, January and February. So really it comes down to how much savings you are coming to Chile with.

I attended the TEFL Academy in 2008. It was a great experience and totally worth it.

Good luck with everything
zuzu39

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject: thanks for your help Reply with quote

Thanks for your help. I think we'll still try to go in August & take the TEFL Academy class ... I've only heard good things about it.

I might try to find a nanny job while I'm down there as well... Maybe since it will be their summer break there will be more opportunities for that.

Also, if anyone knows -- what would be a good amount of money to bring along? I was thinking a minimum of 3K to start ... hopefully that will be enough...
mike30

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$3,000 won't go very far in Chile if you aren't working for a few months, especially for 2 people. Depending, of course, on what kind of lifestyle you're looking for. If you don't have a Chilean co-signer, which of course is the case for all foreigners first coming to Chile, then it could run you up to 2 grand just to get into an apartment.

You could get a decent job as a nanny with a super high class family who is looking for an English speaking nanny...but so many families have Peruvian nanny's who work for not much more than room and board that the general pay for nannies would be quite low.
Lunkey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah $3000 isn't going to go far at all. I think you need $1000 each a month, maybe a little less, especially your first months in a new city where you'll want to be out exploring, partying, enjoying yourself a little... consider you won't be making anything your first month at the tefl academy, and if you find a teaching gig right away with sufficient hours (yes there *ARE* jobs in september but there aren't a lot of them), you won't get paid till the end of that month after you worked. So that's 2 months right there without money really coming through the door... then you won't have any work to rely on whatsoever in January and February, and then really not even until the end of March.

if I were you, I'd honestly wait and come down in February or March next year where you're giving yourself a better shot at things really working out.
pgchris

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also considering going down in August to do the TEFL Academy program(depending on what happens with a couple other of my applications), Lunkey did you already do the program? and if so how long did it take you to find a job?
ProspTeach

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 4:04 pm    Post subject: TEFL Academy Reply with quote

Lunkey,

Can you comment on your experience with the TEFL Academy? I'm inches away from committing to the January 2011 session and I'd really love some feedback from you. Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Chile All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: