Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cambridge English School

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait
View previous topic :: View next topic  
poompui

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:11 am    Post subject: Cambridge English School Reply with quote

Does anyone know of Cambridge English School? I am going to take a job there this fall and I was currious about the reputation of this school among the expats in Kuwait. Any information on the school would be appreciated. thanks.
Starfell

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL
bedwiya

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you should have asked about their reputation before you took the job. Have not heard anything positive about them in Kuwait.
poompui

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

could you be more specific? does anyone have any helpful information. schools have bad reputations for many reasons. poor admin, lack of teaching materials, unqualified teachers...
Starfell

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you're doing well, continue.
bedwiya

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Starfell noted, you listed them all. Welcome to Kuwait.
poompui

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

again, i am looking for more specific information. does anyone, besides these two, have information.
Starfell

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unruly children in one school- hard working but badly behaved in the other.One school mainly Bedu and the other mainly Egyptian.

Unqualified staff.Head of ESL is an ex hairdresser.
No resources bar textbooks.
Dirty corridors.
One school in ok area but ruled by a dragon- the other school in a crappy area, no parking and ruled by a poofy mama's boy and his sidekick.
More recently the one in Mangaf has come under attack on the Times Educational Supplement website for her harsh style of management.

But hey,don't take our advice Poompui, it seems you wanted someone to say how wonderful it is- no one will, except the Principal.

Come if you like, but be warned- it's not the worst in Kuwait by any means, my friends have been there for some time and think it's ''ok'', but then maybe their standards are low.
However, it could be worse, you could have accepted a job in Atakamul and be on your way to Sewer City.
poompui

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, thank you. so, not the worst. i don't expect it to be the best. is there any issue with getting paid? that is my biggest concern.
usa_in_gulf

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

There are no problems with pay. Overall, getting paid is not an issue for teachers in Kuwait. The one thing that is different is there typically isn't a "set" payday. This means that this month you may get paid on the 26th and next month on the 29th, and maybe the next on the 27th--but very seldom will you get paid any later than the last day of the month---however, most schools do try to transfer salaries by the 25th of each month.

Cambridge is certainly not the best--nor the worst in Kuwait. Yes, the one campus is mostly Egyptian students-- and the other Bedu.. BUT most Kuwaitis are bedu--including the ruling family! With the exception of American School of Kuwait (ASK) and British School of Kuwait (BSK)-- you are going to deal with mostly bedu where ever you go in Kuwait! In fact, that is true for the whole Gulf area! (Even people who strongly argue that they are not bedu---typically are!!)

In most schools in Kuwait-- and I would guess most any where in the world--you will find unqualified people... most jobs are what you make of it! Razz
Starfell

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

usa_in_gulf wrote:
Hi,

There are no problems with pay. Overall, getting paid is not an issue for teachers in Kuwait. The one thing that is different is there typically isn't a "set" payday. This means that this month you may get paid on the 26th and next month on the 29th, and maybe the next on the 27th--but very seldom will you get paid any later than the last day of the month---however, most schools do try to transfer salaries by the 25th of each month.

Cambridge is certainly not the best--nor the worst in Kuwait. Yes, the one campus is mostly Egyptian students-- and the other Bedu.. BUT most Kuwaitis are bedu--including the ruling family! With the exception of American School of Kuwait (ASK) and British School of Kuwait (BSK)-- you are going to deal with mostly bedu where ever you go in Kuwait! In fact, that is true for the whole Gulf area! (Even people who strongly argue that they are not bedu---typically are!!)

In most schools in Kuwait-- and I would guess most any where in the world--you will find unqualified people... most jobs are what you make of it! Razz

Don't know where you come from but in most countries in the world you have to be qualified to be a teacher.
Also,most Kuwaitis are not bedu- and are you saying that there are no bedu familes at either ASK or BSK? what planet did you just sail in from?
usa_in_gulf

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starfell wrote
Quote:
Don't know where you come from but in most countries in the world you have to be qualified to be a teacher.
Also,most Kuwaitis are not bedu- and are you saying that there are no bedu familes at either ASK or BSK? what planet did you just sail in from?

It extremely obvious that you don't know either the history of Kuwait/Gulf or have any understanding of the people who inhabit this part of the world. Again, overwhelming majority are bedu. Thats a fact-- look it up. If you are in Kuwait-- look around!

And sadly, you don't know how to read very well--

Quote:
With the exception of American School of Kuwait (ASK) and British School of Kuwait (BSK)-- you are going to deal with mostly bedu where ever you go in Kuwait!

I did not write that ASK or BSK do not have bedu students. (And as I stated, Kuwait being predominately bedu-- that would be nearly impossible.)

And you need to "re-read" what I said about unqualified people--

Quote:
In most schools in Kuwait-- and I would guess most any where in the world--you will find unqualified people... most jobs are what you make of it!

SO-- you comment about having to be "qualified to be a teacher" simply makes no sense in response to my statement....

This is a forum to share and exchange information.... not for being rude.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: