Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

costaricatefl..com school in samara

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Costa Rica
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ouroboros42

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:34 am    Post subject: costaricatefl..com school in samara Reply with quote

Has anyone been to the school by costaricatefl.com in samara? I am planning on going there in August and just wanted to make sure it was legit. It looks very good....

Thanks,
Laura
JamieP

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Laura,
I was actually wondering the same thing - I'm doing the June/July course...
Neeve

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I was volunteering in Samara last year and I know people who went to the school there. Overall I didn't hear any bad reports, everyone was happy and the classes are small. They also arrange weekend trips to various parts of Costa Rica and have salsa classes, etc.
You'll love Samara, it's a beautiful little town and the people there are lovely. Not to mention the wonderful beaches!!
Hope this helps Smile
EJVpool

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Costa Rica TEFL - Samara Reply with quote

Laura,

I am going to be in that August class as well. I have not heard anything negative about the school at all. I did notice that Barbara, the lady I have been in contact with at Costa Rica TEFL, was listed as an Academic Advisor on another school's website. I assumed that meant she was pretty credible (whatever that is worth).

Have you looked into where you are staying for the time you are at the school?
Have you started talking to schools or will you do that once you get to Costa Rica?

Eric
ouroboros42

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, sorry i went on a hiatus and didn't respond. i wound up not going to the course, b/c i got a pretty awesome job here in the states and decided to pay off debt and save more money before i travel. BUT, the plan is for this October to go to this costaricatefl.com course. Did anyone complete the course that posted before. Is anyone else planning on going around that time this year?
SaSi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: More info... Reply with quote

Hello Everybody....I hope anyone will respond...I applied for this year in June Courses..I'm waiting for them to confirm...
How was your year...can anyone tell more about it??

Thank you very much....
teebar

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

neeve, i'm not sure if you still post on here but i was wondering if you could tell me which program you went through to volunteer in Samara. I was wanting to do some volunteer teaching but the program I was interested in doesn't seem to be taking applicants right now.

thanks!
sarafille

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:02 pm    Post subject: A bit late but hopefully someone responds... Reply with quote

Hello to all!

I was wondering if any of the above posters (or anyone else for that matter) would be interested in commenting on their experience with the Samara TEFL school. After scrolling through the forums and then deciding to join the discussion, I had determined that Maximo Nivel in San Jose looked like it had great word of mouth through all of the users here. BUT I am thinking I might prefer the Samara TEFL program instead. First of all, I would already be in Samara in order to take the immersion Spanish course in October 2010 and taking the TEFL course there would a) be less travel to San Jose, b) a 10% discount on the language course, and c) only slightly less expensive...about $500USD difference, though I suppose that can go a long way. Has anyone graduated from the Samara TEFL school that wouldn't mind giving their feedback? Once again, I have already heard wonderful things about Maximo Nivel.

Thanks so much!
mortaine

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't taken the TEFL course in Samara, but I did take an immersion Spanish class there a couple of years ago, and interviewed the staff for an article at Matador Travel. The school in Samara is good, clean, and the instructors know their stuff. It's the same school/staff for the immersion language classes as it is for the TEFL, which is why Barbara's name comes up more than once when you're doing a search-- they also coordinate volunteer vacations with a local tour company (they typically have way more volunteers than positions-- Spanish language skills and any specialized skills like medical or technical training were in higher demand and could get you through the waitlist faster).

The language school in Samara organizes cultural events for its students, outings, side-trips, etc., but also has a weekly beach cleanup where students come out and help keep Samara beautiful. From what I've seen, it does a good job of being a responsible neighbor to the town. When I was there, the school was also starting up a free after-school art program for Samara schoolchildren.

Samara is a small beach town with quite a bit of tourism on the weekends. It's very laid back-- the main road to get from here to there is the beach, and it has some of the best surfing anywhere. It's hot and humid, and because it's so remote, provincial services (like garbage pickup) may be sporadic. It takes 6-8 hours to get there by public bus-- this is one area where springing for the $35 private shuttle to get you from San Jose to town in 4 hours is worth it. About half of the classrooms at the school are air conditioned and indoors-- the other half are outside. Beautiful, but it could get hot during the day.
sarafille

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 12:09 am    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Thanks, mortaine. I am still holding out on making my decision on the TEFL course just yet but it helps that you confirm the professionalism of the Samara language school, since I'm going to be there for 4 weeks in the language immersion course.

My main consideration for the TEFL course in San Jose was that it would be easier to make contacts, get a job, etc. Who knows! Smile

Someone also suggested a different school on a different posting but I very much appreciate the your taking the time to let me know the school seems well-run, friendly, and even supportive of their community.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Costa Rica All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: