Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ATIS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Starfell

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: ATIS Reply with quote

I see eat a camel are advertising on the TES for a stack of jobs, one of which is : VP

''Primary Vice Principal

ATIS is a friendly place to work and Kuwait offers a high standard of living. Our remuneration package includes a tax- free salary, one-year contract (renewable), free annual return flight to the UK, free accommodation and utilities in furnished studio apartments, up to two children's education free of charge and an end-of-service gratuity.''

But they fail to add '' teachers will remain on visit visas for the foreseeable future.''

Makes you wonder why two teachers did runners last week from this establishment- to do a runner so late in the year? Jeez it must be bad.
Starfell

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOVING reading International Schools' review on this school ( you have to pay to join, but boy is it worth the read....)

''Comments: I am saddened to say that I was forced to do something that I promised myself that I would never do. I broke my contract. I suppose that I will not experience the full ramifications of this until I look for another teaching job. Still, I chose to place my mental health above the contract. I worked for this school in Kuwait for only a few months. It was all I could stand. I left because I was mistreated, lied to and made to live in a third world environment. I made many attempts to improve things by trying to communicate with the Superintendent. He is a fraud himself, and simply plays the game. He has no interest in what we have to endure here. This is a school which should be examined by ISR, and A'Takamul International School are the ones who should be blackballed by TIE, Search and ISS.''

And another:

''Comments: I wanted to write this review of A'takamal international school located in kuwait. First of all I want to let teachers know of all the broken promises given by the superintendent and the lies he told during the interview.

As promised the money was good, but everything else was terrible. I have been teaching overseas for 13 years and have never been treated, so badly. Housing was small and infested with insects, superintendent Paul (MOD edit) didn't care. The students at the school were the worst behaved kids I have ever seen in my life, superintendent didn't care. Teachers that arrived at the beginning of the year were all lied to about everything, I lasted 3 months and had to leave because of the treatment.....''

And another........

''Comments: Teachers beware, Atakamul International School in Kuwait has lost its licence since September of 2008. It will employ you but you will not be able to get work visa. You will be forced to work on tourst visa, if you go to Kuwait without a work permit. They will tell you that you must come in on tourist visa and you'll be sent to get work visa . This will never happen because the licence was revoked and they have not been able to get a new one.''

https://www.internationalschoolsreview.com/members/atakamal.htm
beachbound

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked for ATIS a few years ago. Paul (MOD edit) has been gone for 5 years, so those comments are pretty old. There housing has vastly improved and my former colleagues that still work there are all content with their situation.

You seem to have a chip on your shoulder about ATIS, Starfall. Why is that?

(MOD: DO NOT POST FULL NAMES)
Starfell

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more recent comments are just as interesting beachbound.

I don't have a chip, but it seems that a school which brings people half way across the world promising things, such as a simple WORK visa would be able to come up with the goods, don't you think? Or are you used to contractual agreements being broken and promises unfulfilled?

And when two teachers leave 5 weeks before the year ends doesn't that say something?

Maybe your colleagues that are 'happy' working there have low standards or limited experiences, or come from a third world country- and are earning huge bucks in comparison to what they might earn in their native countries- rose tinted spectacles I fear.

Here's the latest ATIS International Review comment, long after the old super (MOD edit) left I believe:

''2008-2010-Comments: IPE: the company that runs the school will do anything they can do con you. They will lie to you. They have a terrible reputation. Warning letters have been sent out for the strangest reason - saying pay will be cut due to dress code violations. (There is no dress code to consult - they make it up as they go along.)

You will be working here without the correct visa - this has been going on for two years and looks to continue. You risk arrest/ prison or, at the least being asked to leave the country (don't expect any help from IPE).

Accreditation - the company that provides Atakamul with its accreditation are no longer. They are trying to get accredited by another board - but it looks unlikely.''

and

''2007-2010 -Comments: If you are an educator and you value your profession and career, this is definitely not the school to take up employment. If you value your life stay as far as possible form this school. It can be reasonably compared to a sweat shop in India that continues to employ undocumented workers to violate their human rights. Pay careful attention to this bit of information. Google "nafais holdings" and click on to Our Groups, see who owns the school. Compare the contract you have been given to the name under which the school is listed. Use facebook to get information from people who presently work there. Do your research before you pack your bags. You have been warned. Don't go to Kuwait without a NOC from this school. If you are invited to come in on a visitor's visa, don't come, if you do, you will be committing professional suicide. Don't believe a word the recruiters told you, it's all a pack of lies. Once you get to Kuwait you'll only be a number and a warm body in their classrooms. Easily disposed of when they want to. Be wise, do the research!!!''

Now beachbound! That's all you're getting- go pay to read it all yourself!! ( Or are ATIS not paying you enough- you should be on at least 930 )
beachbound

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOD edit
beachbound

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOD edit
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: