Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

International schools in Kuwait
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
15yearsinQ8

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as a russian/cis lady you will not be granted a visit visa - how is it that you were to planning on coming 'to look' for work?
and let me state again you will not find teaching work that will allow independent living of any livable standard until october
Starfell

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't trying to be nasty VS, simply realistic. As an employer I wouldn't give this lady a job teaching English at my school, would you? Why give her false hope?

As for my English, as a holder of a first in English Language and Literature, it is as damned near perfect as needs be, to teach.

Now, Argi- 15 Years is right. You will not get a visit visa as a single, Russian lady traveling to Kuwait. You need to write to schools and apply through the standard procedures. I would imagine that some of the lower tier schools such as Cambridge, A'takamul, KNES and several of the Kindergartens might offer you a position teaching KG- Yr2. These schools will still be advertising well up to September. Try the TES website tes.co.uk
Argiopa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

15yearsinQ8 wrote:
as a russian/cis lady you will not be granted a visit visa - how is it that you were to planning on coming 'to look' for work?
and let me state again you will not find teaching work that will allow independent living of any livable standard until october

As I said at the begining, I will move to Kuwait I will not come to visit. My husband is already resident of Kuwait. He is not well informed when it comes to the educational sector. I joined the forum to find out more information.
Argiopa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starfell wrote:
I wasn't trying to be nasty VS, simply realistic. As an employer I wouldn't give this lady a job teaching English at my school, would you? Why give her false hope?

As for my English, as a holder of a first in English Language and Literature, it is as damned near perfect as needs be, to teach.

Now, Argi- 15 Years is right. You will not get a visit visa as a single, Russian lady traveling to Kuwait. You need to write to schools and apply through the standard procedures. I would imagine that some of the lower tier schools such as Cambridge, A'takamul, KNES and several of the Kindergartens might offer you a position teaching KG- Yr2. These schools will still be advertising well up to September. Try the TES website tes.co.uk

Thank you!
Starfell

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argi- when you arrive in Kuwait go directly to the schools and bring photocopies of your degree,passport.

Be warned tho', as a 'dependent' (housewife) you are also forbidden by law to work, so some schools may choose to break the law and employ you and others will simply refuse.
Argiopa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starfell wrote:
Argi- when you arrive in Kuwait go directly to the schools and bring photocopies of your degree,passport.

Be warned tho', as a 'dependent' (housewife) you are also forbidden by law to work, so some schools may choose to break the law and employ you and others will simply refuse.

Isn't it much better and nobler to be kind Starfell dear? Wink Kindly thank you for the given information. Smile Every day I am increasingly convinced that Kuwait has a very strange country! Rolling Eyes
Starfell

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very noble- and forthright, and I stick by what I say, avoid teaching English to anything higher than grade 2.
usa_in_gulf

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Argiopa,

I will guess that you will be coming to Kuwait on a Visit Visa supplied by your husband. Try to find a position as soon as possible so that your employer can do your "iquama" (work permit) for you--this is better than having your husband put you under his sponsorship. There are people who would hire you -- and have your work while on your husband's sponsorship--in fact, quite a few-- but better for you in the long run to be on your employer's sponsorship.

Most preschools/nurseries have already finished their hiring-- as mentioned-- most of these places hire wives-- and a lot work illegally on under their husband's sponsorship. These positions usually offer no benefits and low salary. But on the other hand, its short hours and not too stressful work.

As mentioned, you will have better luck looking at the KG departments at different schools. Normally, the "top" schools will only hire native speakers -- but trust me, there are so many schools that are not "top" schools! Laughing This does not necessarily mean that they are bad employers-- just not as expensive as the top schools. There are dozens of schools in Kuwait... keep a positive and open mind. You will find something. I know that the Future Bilingual School in Fahaheel has a number of Russian teachers on staff-- both in the KG and PE departments.

But please note that KG positions still do not normally offer full benefits or the top salaries. Again, you will find a large number of wives holding these positions.

Another position you may look into is a Teaching Assistant position. Most schools have Teaching Assistants from KG to G2 or G3.

If you have a working knowledge of Arabic, this is a huge plus for you in both the KG area and Teaching Assistant area. Most teachers--even those who spend years in the Gulf-- have no knowledge of the language.. so play that point up!

Good luck!
(And please ignore the rude people on this forum---if they want to correct people's English---let them start with their own first!!)
Argiopa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

usa_in_gulf wrote:
Dear Argiopa,

I will guess that you will be coming to Kuwait on a Visit Visa supplied by your husband. Try to find a position as soon as possible so that your employer can do your "iquama" (work permit) for you--this is better than having your husband put you under his sponsorship. There are people who would hire you -- and have your work while on your husband's sponsorship--in fact, quite a few-- but better for you in the long run to be on your employer's sponsorship.

Most preschools/nurseries have already finished their hiring-- as mentioned-- most of these places hire wives-- and a lot work illegally on under their husband's sponsorship. These positions usually offer no benefits and low salary. But on the other hand, its short hours and not too stressful work.

As mentioned, you will have better luck looking at the KG departments at different schools. Normally, the "top" schools will only hire native speakers -- but trust me, there are so many schools that are not "top" schools! Laughing This does not necessarily mean that they are bad employers-- just not as expensive as the top schools. There are dozens of schools in Kuwait... keep a positive and open mind. You will find something. I know that the Future Bilingual School in Fahaheel has a number of Russian teachers on staff-- both in the KG and PE departments.

But please note that KG positions still do not normally offer full benefits or the top salaries. Again, you will find a large number of wives holding these positions.

Another position you may look into is a Teaching Assistant position. Most schools have Teaching Assistants from KG to G2 or G3.

If you have a working knowledge of Arabic, this is a huge plus for you in both the KG area and Teaching Assistant area. Most teachers--even those who spend years in the Gulf-- have no knowledge of the language.. so play that point up!

Good luck!
(And please ignore the rude people on this forum---if they want to correct people's English---let them start with their own first!!)

Dear usa_in_gulf,

I am very happy to read from you. Smile I was already given up hope that I'll find any serious and specific information. I am planning to enter Kuwait with a visa, "Al tahaak baail (conecting family). My husband is planning to initiate the procedure for obtaining residence immediately after I arrive. All this talk about illegal work made me very confused. Rolling Eyes Oh, I really hope that there will be any decent job in Kuwait. I have already begun to think that my education there has no value. Thank you for the time you took to reply and also for the information, you are really very kind person.
Lots of greetings!

Argiopa
Starfell

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may not have any value. I know of a Russian lady with a degree in law who is getting 250KD for teaching KG in a school in Hawalli.
bje

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starfell wrote:
It may not have any value. I know of a Russian lady with a degree in law who is getting 250KD for teaching KG in a school in Hawalli.

We all 'know of people' doing such and such. Apart from having another dig, what's your point?
Starfell

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, not a dig Bje, just how awful that a woman, and a really nice one at that, with a degree in Law should be paid such a pittance , don't you think?
The thing that got me was she was sitting with a degree and earning 250KD a month and further up the school there were, apparently people without even a fake degree earning four times her salary.It's pathetic.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, her problem was also the fact that there is little market for any expat with a law degree in the Gulf. Perhaps if the country of the degree had a multi-national company there, they may hire a practicing lawyer from back home to keep them in compliance. That limits one's options to a minuscule number of job openings. It certainly provides her with no credentials for teaching.

It is the same with refugees or immigrants who arrive in the US... medical doctors (or lawyers) who have all the education and had practiced in their own countries... end up flipping burgers at McDs.

VS
grab-bag

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not impossible for wives to work. You can get a permit from the government, ministry of labor. My wife found a job.
Starfell

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update?? Any luck Argi?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: