Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IM-1 Visa limitations

View previous topic :: View next topic  
overworkedandunderpaid

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 9:21 am    Post subject: IM-1 Visa limitations Reply with quote

Hi everyone.
According to my research on this site, business visas to Ukraine are now limited to 90 per 180 days and therefore teachers need to get IM-1 visas to work in Ukraine for a full academic year.
According to my research on visas, it appears that the IM-1 visas are only available as SINGLE-entry.
Could anyone with an IM-1 visa tell me if this means a teacher is unable to travel outside of Ukraine during their year of employment?!?
Thanks very much :)
charlesinukraine

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 10:53 am    Post subject: IM-1 Visa - Work Visa - Immigration visa Reply with quote

First, Business Visa's have never been a legal means to teach/work in Ukraine. It is used as a means to by-pass the legal method of acquiring an IM-1 visa. The IM-1 visa is an immigration visa for expatriates working in Ukraine for a Ukrainian company or an international company with a Ukrainian division.

You are correct in that an IM-1 visa allows a single-entry into Ukraine. Once in-country it would then be necessary to secure an internal document that allows one multiple entries into Ukraine. I've always called this an "internal passport".

Acquiring an IM-1 visa is the means by which expatriates at firms such as Ernst & Young, Coke, British American Tobacco, Kraft, Life (TurkCell), and other firms that wish to explicitly follow the laws.

I used an IM-1 visa when I worked for three different Ukrainian companies.

I spoke with an American at the US Embassy and he highly advised that all Americans have an IM-1 visa when working in Ukraine. He said that businesses that don't use the legal means to employ foreigners should be avoided because they are probably involved in fraudulent activity starting with tax evasion and possibly more.

I hope this helps. It is easiest when
Cardinal Synn

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the IM1 and the ID card (Posvidka) (and stamp in my passport) that allows me to work here and travel freely in and out of the country. My school organized this for me. The whole process involves medical tests (AIDS, drugs and booze and TB), then a day or two of going from one government office to another. A big hassle, but once you've got it, it makes life a lot easier.
overworkedandunderpaid

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for the info! It's greatly appreciated :)
I'm glad to know that one can leave for the holidays or whatnot and re-enter once they've obtained this "posvidka"/"internal passport" document!
Apollo1

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cardinal Synn wrote:
I got the IM1 and the ID card (Posvidka) (and stamp in my passport) that allows me to work here and travel freely in and out of the country. My school organized this for me. The whole process involves medical tests (AIDS, drugs and booze and TB), then a day or two of going from one government office to another. A big hassle, but once you've got it, it makes life a lot easier.

How long and at what cost to obtain the Posvidka? Lawyer or other agent required to complete?
charlesinukraine

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can be done within days. If I remember correctly the New York Ukrainian consulate told me it will be done with 10 days once a person has all the documents.

If you are employed by a Ukrainian company get an IM-1 visa and don't trust a school that says a Business visa is sufficient. It is not sufficient to work in Ukraine for a Ukrainian company.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Ukraine All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: