Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How's the water?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Costa Rica
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justenanderson

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:17 am    Post subject: How's the water? Reply with quote

We're leaving for CR in June and I am debating on what to bring for water purification purposes. I don't really want to be sucking down iodine tablets for a year or more, but my MSR filter doesn't prevent viruses from getting through.

How much of a problem is the tap water for long-term travelers in CR? What do you do to keep yourself safe?

I read the CDC website, but they seemed a little overly cautious for someone who'll be in country for an extended period.

Thanks a million!
jprimm

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 1:40 am    Post subject: the water Reply with quote

The water is fine..Leave your tablets in the U.S. unless you are going to other countries.
roadballmint

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CDC website is extremely overly-cautious. Unless you're going to live in a remote village and do farm work all day, you can basically ignore most of what they say.

Jprimm is right- the water is fine. Purification tablets would be a waste of money and space. One of the government's goals is to provide clean tap water to all citizens, and they've mostly succeeded. But do confirm with a local if it's OK for drinking before you start chugging down tap water (95+% of the time it is). In more isolated areas some places draw their water supply from a river or lake so the water isn't suitable for drinking. It's not that common, but I'd ask just in case.
tanblanca

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had tap water here in Quepos and it was really good. I'm not a fan of tap water, but this tasted better than any i'd had in the states, and I haven't gotten sick or anything.

There is also plenty of bottled water for sale in markets, if you prefer. 600ml for about 450 colones, or so.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Costa Rica All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: