Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CELTA earned outside Europe - inferior?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 4:17 pm    Post subject: CELTA earned outside Europe - inferior? Reply with quote

Hello!

I am in my first year of teaching ESL in a hagwon in South Korea. It has always been a dream of mine to teach in Eastern Europe, especially in Poland, but am open to all areas.

My present contract ends in January 2004. I surfed the Net looking for a CELTA course that would be offered at that point and didn't find too many options. Then I found a course in Durban, South Africa that looks right as far as start date and cost.

I also received an email from another site that a low cost and training outside of Europe may affect my eligibility for an Eastern European job because the CELTA from there will somehow be regarded as inferior to a more costly one earned on another continent.

Can anyone give me some answers on this? Thanks! Smile
D.O.S.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drew,

A lot of us are afraid of going to the
Korean forum and dealing with 'those'
people (YIKES!! Shocked ) Scares me!!

We want to help you. But could you
give us a definate opinion on what is "
teaching in South Korea" first.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 4:41 pm    Post subject: Teaching in a hagwon Reply with quote

Hi!

I should have been more specific. I teach English in a hagwon to Korean students ages 3-17.

I presently have a Masters in Education in TESL and a Graduate Certificate in Applied Linguistics from the same university.

Hope this helps!

DREW
bnix

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 12:38 am    Post subject: South Korea and Poland Reply with quote

D.O.S..yes,despite what you may have heard,there are some legitimate teachers in Korea.The hakwon(private school )situation in Korea has unfortunately tarnished the rep a little.I could say a few other things ,too,since I have been following D.O.S.'s acerbic comments on the forum...but I will leave it at that.There are legit teachers here like everywhere else,also too many losers(like a lot of other places in this business,unfortunatley).As for your remarks about being "scared" by the remarks on the Korean forum...well.yeah.I surely agree with you on that one.Major FLAME WARS,WEIRD NEWS,and just general tabloid stuff.By the way.D.O.S., have a nice day and don't take it too seriously Smile .There are lots of problems in this business. I doubt whether any of us are going to change them. Have a non-TESOL option(at least one) for yourself.

As for the person who was teaching at the hakwon,why do you think you even need a CELTA?(especially to teach in Poland,and with all of the education and training you already have) Just another piece of paper.More time and money expended.Of course,it is your time and money.Definitely do not expect to make as much money teaching in Poland as in Korea.I have taught in both places.I do not blame you for wanting to get out of a hakwon. Smile
taiwan boy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cambridge/RSA CELTA is externally moderated. That means someone from Cambridge/RSA comes to each course to observe and audit it to ensure it is being delivered to meet the standards.

As for some other TESOL certificate courses they may not be required to meet and standard. So if it is a CELTA it does not matter where it is from. If it is just a TEFL/TESOL certificate then you really need to check the credentials of the organisation offering it.

But if you have a M.Ed. in TESOL and a Grad Cert in Applied Linguistics you don't need to waste your time doing the CELTA. You are already very well qualified.
shirley

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With an ME in TESOL and an MA in Linguistics, you would be wasting your time and money in a CELTA course, you're probably more qualified than those who would be teaching such a course. When schools say they want a CELTA, that's a minimum standard, you are far above the rest already. I have an MA in TEFL/LING and no one at my university knows what a CELTA really is, they look for Masters. You're very well prepared to go for the better jobs, good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: