Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any information on A'Takamul International?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait
View previous topic :: View next topic  
newinSeoul

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starfell wrote:
newinSeoul wrote:
Do you know this from teachers who work there, or have you any experience teaching at the school? I have read all the write ups on this forum, and some from the International school review, and it is not looking too positive. Any other specific information you or others can provide would be very helpful in me making a decision. Thanks again.

I think there's a lesson here for everyone thinking of relocating.
In June of 2009 NiS asked for advice on joining ATIS- several posters advised against it and one said it was a great place to be. Doubtless ATIS promised a very high salary- one of the highest in Kuwait, but 11 months later NewinSeoul has realised that he/she should have heeded the words of warning.

Sure, sometimes people just have ''an axe to grind'' but sometimes what they say is true, and should be listened to.

Next year, in another attempt to woo 'real' teachers and ward off the bad press they have been getting in teachers' forums , IPE are offering free tuition ( not just discounted) for staff kids- don't be tempted. You may live to regret it.

It is funny though, how some people have copied and pasted what I wrote on another forum, and are making fun of me, and my decision. I guess it isn't them in the position, so they can make fun all they want. I really more wanted to write my story to warn other teachers. If I am made a joke of, then so be it. I am honest about what happened. If you have anything else you want to discuss about the school , please pm me.
devinewind

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newinSeoul wrote:

I am honest about what happened.

Not even close.
Starfell

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devinewind wrote:
newinSeoul wrote:

I am honest about what happened.

Not even close.

Sorry Rommel, you were saying?
Starfell

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newinSeoul wrote:
Starfell wrote:
newinSeoul wrote:
Do you know this from teachers who work there, or have you any experience teaching at the school? I have read all the write ups on this forum, and some from the International school review, and it is not looking too positive. Any other specific information you or others can provide would be very helpful in me making a decision. Thanks again.

I think there's a lesson here for everyone thinking of relocating.
In June of 2009 NiS asked for advice on joining ATIS- several posters advised against it and one said it was a great place to be. Doubtless ATIS promised a very high salary- one of the highest in Kuwait, but 11 months later NewinSeoul has realised that he/she should have heeded the words of warning.

Sure, sometimes people just have ''an axe to grind'' but sometimes what they say is true, and should be listened to.

Next year, in another attempt to woo 'real' teachers and ward off the bad press they have been getting in teachers' forums , IPE are offering free tuition ( not just discounted) for staff kids- don't be tempted. You may live to regret it.

It is funny though, how some people have copied and pasted what I wrote on another forum, and are making fun of me, and my decision. I guess it isn't them in the position, so they can make fun all they want. I really more wanted to write my story to warn other teachers. If I am made a joke of, then so be it. I am honest about what happened. If you have anything else you want to discuss about the school , please pm me.

Sorry newinSeoul I hope it didn't seem as if I was criticizing you there, what I meant to come across as saying is that we really should all listen to all sides when we are warned about a school, and know that the old cliche smoke isn't without the fire. I remember sitting in a staff meeting a few years back on the first day of term and a little voice told me, get up and leave now, this is NOT the place for you. One year later I was out the door, after ten months of hell- should have heeded my inner voice!
Wishing you well,
S.
newinSeoul

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^I certainly didn't take it as a criticism. Good luck to you.
There are many unqualified teachers working at the school as well that sometimes you don't really know ..even higher ups.

You are right about listening to others that have worked at the school before making a decision. I'll keep that in mind for the future.

This is a good read starfall. I'll tack it on here for other readers.

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=80825
Starfell

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad how some of your ''colleagues'' have chosen to take the high road.

Here is a recent ISR review of ATIS- well worth the read.

''Comments: One bedroom studio apartment in area inhabited by Indian/ Filipino / Egyptian expats- there are NO westerners in nearby apartments.

High salary- but you need it.They take money from you on a whim.

Offering free fees for staff kids next year in a vain attempt to beat the bad reviews.

Smelly, dirty, prison.

Unruly, badly behaved , low level, special needs kids.

At present approx 10 teachers in elementary still have no work permit and are thus ILLEGAL, 20 in MS/HS ( including female VP) have no work permit and are thus ILLEGAL.

They have two sign in books- one for staff WITH work permits and one for staff WITHOUT''

I have a picture of that illegal sign in book-the one that Rommel claims doesn't exist because only 5 teachers have no visa, strangely it shows 20......... but how do I load it?
Starfell

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 7:03 am    Post subject: You WILL pay Reply with quote

This has to be the biggest laugh all season- a lovely breakfast provided by IPE on the last day, the catch> you MUST attend oh and it will cost YOU 2KD....

''
 TUESDAY A�Takamul Oscars and a combined KG/Elementary Breakfast � Cost 2KD and everyone is expected to be present please''
newinSeoul

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^HAHA! The catch.. You must pay 2KD. So, you going? Wink
Starfell

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly as many as attended the HS graduation last night- a ''handful'' I hear. LOL. Even teachers who are staying didn't go.........
newinSeoul

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received a nasty private message from a former colleague that had posted about jobs at this school on another forum. I wanted to learn more about the job so he gave me the principal's email. He didn't say much about the school, and I trusted him, only to find out the school certainly had more problems then what I was being told about.. this is the letter. ATTENTION to anyone thinking of taking a job... PLEASE research the job in more detail. Don't just easily trust one person, get to hear from many employees and read the ISR.

This is the recent pm I received by a former colleague after he found out I left.

MOD edit

And this is from a guy who works there and staunchly defends this school. BEWARE folks. I don't see how he recommended me for the job. He didn't even know me. He gave me the email of the principal and I trusted him. If anything, he should be the one apologizing to me, and I should be the pissed off one. The real nerve of some people. And I don't even know Starfell, how could I pass your name to her/him?

What would the director think of all the nasty pm's that you are sending out on school time??
newinSeoul

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOD edit
usa_in_gulf

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the people posting on this forum are the type of teachers that are at the school now---rude, immature, doing runners, cursing at each other, etc---God help the students.
Starfell

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well USA- it's like this, when you have no other way to vent your anger at how you have been treated by a company.....

Newin S is right- the EFL teacher at IPE has been pm her and me with vile language- I've never met NewinS altho we worked at the same venue,

MOD edit
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: