Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

teaching in Canadian public schools

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
athenssoest

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 12:11 am    Post subject: teaching in Canadian public schools Reply with quote

I'm in college studying to teach German, French, and spanish. I'll graduate with a Masters in foreign language education. I'm interested in moving to Canada afterwards and teaching in public schools there. Does anyone even know if this is possible?
ETG

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 2:31 am    Post subject: Canadian Public schools Reply with quote

It's not likely that you could get a job without a provincial teaching certificate, even private schools generally request it.
E.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I taught in Canada as an expat - but because my spouse works for a Canadian company, I automatically got the right to work.

Without that, I seriously doubt that any Canadian school would have jumped through the legal hoops to get me.

I have an MA TESL/TEFL from a recognised British university and 12 years of experience, mostly in universities, by the way.

But I was no rarity in Canada - there are simply tonnes of highly qualified Canadian teachers - MAs are thick on the ground there.

I wouldn't expect that you would be able to get the right to work in Canada as a language teacher - it's just not on the list of 'skills needed.'
santi84

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For elementary or secondary public schools, a provincial teaching certificate is an absolute requirement and you must already be legal to work in Canada. There is no sponsorship at that level - Canadian citizens with their BEds and provincial teaching certificates are being laid off at an alarming rate. At the university level, you must also already be legal to work in Canada and have a decent amount of experience. While some exceptions might be made for those with very high (rare?) qualifications, those foreign languages would almost certainly not be considered.

Some private schools might have interest in your ability to teach French, I'm not sure if any are willing to jump through the hoops. Canada has a lot of L1 French speakers, but out here in Western Canada, the demand is still strong for those who can speak French.
GambateBingBangBOOM

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's definitely possible. But only if you're willing to go to...

The Arctic.
santi84

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GambateBingBangBOOM wrote:
I think it's definitely possible. But only if you're willing to go to...

The Arctic.

I checked OP`s history and they said...

`
I'm looking for a small to medium sized city (well..by Chinese standards) that is kind of off the beaten path and not a big touristy spot. It would also be nice if it had a very strong cultural heritage and nice scenery/hiking nearby. `

Perhaps the Arctic is a consideration Wink
Jetgirly

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need a teacher certificate, which usually requires a Bachelor of Education degree (regardless of Masters degrees in other areas). I teach in the public system and I've seen massive ESL cutbacks this year and things will be worse next year- they're dumping the ESL kids into Ed Assistants because they can't afford full-time ESL teachers. Full-time ESL teachers are having their hours reduced or being forced to teach other classes as well. It's a crappy time to get into the teaching market in Canada.
jdl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without the B.Ed., in Canada you are not considered a teacher for employment purposes. You may be a teaching/educational assistant, a lecturer, an instructor but not a teacher. Teaching is a career profession here and is as well regulated as the medical or similar professions. The best pay is reserved for 'teachers' with 'teachers' qualifications. Without provincially recognized credentials, chances of getting employment as a teacher are the very next to impossible.....even in the Arctic (Nothwest Territories and Nunavut). The B.Ed. standard applies province by province, territory by territory, nationally and applies to any publically funded and or Provincially recognized/accredited k-12 educational institution. Home schooling is the exception here; but that entails a whole different set of regulations.
Imdramayu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:47 am    Post subject: Starting a BEd? Reply with quote

As a 46-year-old American male with a MA in TESOL and 15 years overseas EFL college teaching experience, would starting a BEd be a wise move? Are the BEd programs difficult to get into? Are the public schools still hiring full-time BEds?

Where would be a good place to start BEd hunting?
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to teach in the US, there are markets around, though I hear it's getting highly competitive in many regions.

A B.Ed. wouldn't get you into Canada, however, unless, as is stated above by santi84, you already have a visa to live and work in the country.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: