Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finding work in Egypt. Where doth one start?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
philipjames

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:32 pm    Post subject: Finding work in Egypt. Where doth one start? Reply with quote

Hello, I would like to teach in Egypt. I have a Masters Degree and have taught English in Korea for nine years. I'm ready for a new experience. I contacted 'Teach Away' but they said Mid-East jobs require a teacher's certificate - which I don't have. Are they correct, or is just the schools that Teach Away deals with that require a teacher's certificate?

I would really like to teach in Egypt, Saudi, Bahrain or the UAE. Can anyone recommend a recruiter and/or school that I might contact in one of these countries.

Thank you kindly in advance,
Jameson
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An MA in TEFL/Applied Linguistics? Is your experience in Academic English at university level? If you are interested in university level, you apply directly... normally through their websites.

In Egypt, the top pay and benefits would be at The American University in Cairo. See their website.

VS
starlight

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 10:58 am    Post subject: Teach in Egypt: Possible, Probable, Improbable, Impossible? Reply with quote

This is a query mainly for VS. (BTW, VS from the mind-boggling number of your posts, are you actually a 'moderator in disguise' for Dave's? Very Happy ) OK. Question: I am about your age (a weeeeee bit older). Canadian female, MA in teaching ESL/EFL and curriculum development, a former IELTS examiner with years of experience in teaching IELTS prep classes, preference for teaching academic writing, and 12 years experience at Chinese unis ... BUT I am still a senior citizen. I wouldn't expect to get a full-time teaching job at my 'advanced' age Very Happy , but what about part-time stuff, say at Continuing Ed dept (AUC) or at Writing Center (AUC)? Any other suggestions as to where part-time teaching/editing might be available for someone of my vintage? Realistically, what do you think: possible? probable? improbable? impossible? I'm playing with the idea of simply showing up in Cairo. ('Employment by email' is virtually useless.) Keep in mind that I am still vertical, still breathing, still rationale, and still competent. Very Happy
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... you'd think Dave would at least sent me a Christmas card if not a bonus check or something. Laughing So far... zilch!!

It is certainly possible in a place like Egypt and at AUC. But, you would also need to have some other income (retirement, investments... whatever... to cover slow periods or to raise your living standard...) You could easily get courses in their adult ed program (very low pay), add some private lessons over time... and likely pick-up adjunct work when they find themselves short of teachers in the ELI or the Writing Program.

This is exactly what I wanted to do, but family issues got in the way. If you want to get into real specifics, we should probably switch to PMs.

VS
JohnRambo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
An MA in TEFL/Applied Linguistics? Is your experience in Academic English at university level? If you are interested in university level, you apply directly... normally through their websites.

In Egypt, the top pay and benefits would be at The American University in Cairo. See their website.

VS

Veiled, you seem to know a lot about Egypt. I cannot say I know a lot about Egypt, though I lived there for six months once when I was doing an internship sponsored by the Canadian government and taught some English. I am working on my M.A. in TESOL and French; I taught in South Korea. I am fluent in Arabic. How is the remuneration for people with qualifications?

I hope you are all having a good time in Egypt.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Egypt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: