Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Largest demand in Ukraine?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sisyphus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: Largest demand in Ukraine? Reply with quote

Im interested in teaching in the Ukraine, which city has the best opportunities , demand? Im really interested in starting my own school eventually , I presume Kiev is saturated etc? I was in Kharkiv a couple of years ago , seems a large city but mostly russian orientated so maybe not the best place for English...your thoughts appreciated..yours..The Sisyphus.
beachguy69

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:18 am    Post subject: Stay where you are - Is the best advice Reply with quote

The problem here is they just changed the Visa laws this year. All visas, including business visa you come for 90 days and must leave for 90 days.
The only way you can stay is with a work permit.
Life here is getting more difficult.
vanillasky

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how are the teachers and the schools dealing with this? They must be losing a lot of native speakers do to this law change. I there any way around it??? So basically, now native teachers are only coming to work three month contracts instead of full year contracts?
beachguy69

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:54 am    Post subject: Schools do not care Reply with quote

Most schools do not care. They will lie to the new teachers about the visa. The law says you can only be here for 90 days but when you try to come back you have a 50 % chance of getting in by paying an entrance fee (Ha ha) in America we call it something else.
Therefore the schools tell the new teachers it is not a problem. But if you have all your stuff in your flat and you are not allowed to come back into the country for another 90 days - where do you go and who pays your rent and watch your stuff....
You ask what choices do you have here in Ukraine? Only two my friend. 1) Get a work permit, but 90% of the schools will not get one for you because they do not want to pay taxes. That's right 90% of the teachers here are working illegal because they do not have work permits and do not pay taxes.
2) Get married
vanillasky

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for all the typo's in my previous post Embarassed . In the Russian forum they would have eaten me alive for that!!! I was ocheen tired, so that's my excuse.
Well, I guess some of the main commercial schools do get the work permits. Not that there is a big handful to choose from in Ukraine. For instance, IH is doing it legally it looks like.
Hmmmm, maybe I should just find myself a nice Ukranian man Smile Wink . I've dated them before, and I'll have to say they are QUITE nice.
beachguy69

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:26 am    Post subject: Marriage is an option Reply with quote

I have only dated woman so i cannot tell?
Like I said you have only found one and they do not pay very much. Also you must get the land lord to sign off where you live. They do not want to do this because of taxes.
Thanks for your info, I do wish you luck.
I have a work permit from a University
vanillasky

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently many expats who are having problems with getting a work permit in Ukraine currently are using the services of lawyers, and that seems to be solving the problem. I'm not exactly sure how that works since I haven't done it, but it looks like a couple hundred dollers can go a long way to solve any legal problems in Ukraine!
http://www.expatua.com/forum/index.php/topic,4230.0.html
.....thats just one thread from the expatua forum
beachguy69

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:15 am    Post subject: High Risk Reply with quote

I think it cost alot more then that. You also have the risk of 1) it might not get done 2) it might not be legal.
Many things can be bought here in Ukraine....
Do you feel lucky?
Cardinal Synn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then, get a job with one of the 10% (where do you get this figure from, Beachguy69?) that do offer work permits. No point in making your life any more difficult than it needs to be. After all, you can choose from a lot of countries. The only reason I can see for working illegally is if you're desperate to stay here.
charlesinukraine

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:49 am    Post subject: Visas and Borders Reply with quote

In the last year the U.S. government as well as the EU has been securing Ukraine's borders with a sophisticated, networked database to track entry and exit from Ukraine. As the system has gone online it is easier to track days in country. This makes it far more worrisome for those without proper work credentials. This includes a tax id, work permit, and IM-1 visa.

For legal workers securing of the borders is not problematic, but for for those working/residing illegally be prepared for potential trouble.
SarahLundt

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about just working illegaly?
Cardinal Synn

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to ask again...why would anyone want to work in Ukraine illegally? It's hardly the land of milk and honey.
charlesinukraine

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. Why do people want to violate the laws of another country? And, more importantly, put themselves into potentially tenuous situations?

Furthermore, if a school is not going to hire a teacher legally how do you think the school will treat the teacher? respectfully? doubtful! Probably as a slave or commodity.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Ukraine All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: