Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CAN YOU LIVE COMFORTABLY IN NEW YORK with teachers salary

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
USAMATHMAN

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 9:52 pm    Post subject: CAN YOU LIVE COMFORTABLY IN NEW YORK with teachers salary Reply with quote

Hello all,

Considering a move to upstate New York to begin new teaching position. Salary would be around $65,000 year before taxes.

I am from the South and have never lived in East Coast. I understand the cost of living is really high.

Could a single person with no children live comfortably on the above salary if they budget correctly? My idea of living comfortably is eating out a couple times per month, checking out a movie or theatre event one per month, and being able to save $300-$500 per month.

Thanks!!

Last edited by USAMATHMAN on Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chancellor

Location: Ji'an, China - if you're willing to send me cigars, I accept donations :)

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: CAN YOU LIVE COMFORTABLY IN NEW YORK with teachers salar Reply with quote

USAMATHMAN wrote:
Hello all,

Considering a move to New York (near westpoint) within the next couple of months to begin new teaching position. Salary would be around $65,000 year before taxes.

I am from the South and have never lived in East Coast. I understand the cost of living is really high.

Could a single person with no children live comfortably on the above salary if they budget correctly? My idea of living comfortably is eating out a couple times per month, checking out a movie or theatre event one per month, and being able to save $300-$500 per month.

Thanks!!
There's a whole lot more to New York State than New York City. Google the particular town where you'll be teaching and look for one of those websites that show cost of living and other such information like this one: http://www.city-data.com/county/Orange_County-NY.html. Orange County, NY, in which West Point is located, is considered the northernmost extreme of the New York City metropolitan area (West Point is 50 miles from New York City). The cost of living in the county is considered high.
USAMATHMAN

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 3:20 pm    Post subject: teaching in New York State Reply with quote

Thanks Chancellor! Great website.
scintillatestar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can definitely live on the salary. I have lived in Manhattan for five years on a lot less.
USAMATHMAN

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:45 am    Post subject: New York Salary Reply with quote

Thanks. I think living expenses will probably be the largest expense I will have to take care of. Rents seem to be much higher in New York-especially toward the city. Could you recommend any areas in Manhattan that would be best place to live or some that would not? Thanks!
NYCESOL11211

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, if you are taking a job upstate, why are you asking about places to live in NYC?
USAMATHMAN

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:06 am    Post subject: NY Reply with quote

Don't plan to move there. Just curious about Manhattan. I have heard it is a great place to visit with many things to do.
Kornan DeKobb

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: New York Salary Reply with quote

USAMATHMAN wrote:
Thanks. I think living expenses will probably be the largest expense I will have to take care of. Rents seem to be much higher in New York-especially toward the city. Could you recommend any areas in Manhattan that would be best place to live or some that would not? Thanks!

Personally, I like the Long Island City/Astoria area of Queens. It is right over the 59th St. Bridge from Manhattan so you can be there within minutes, yet buildings are not so tall, there is greenery, and you can park in front of or near your house/apt. Rent is only half of what something similar would go for in Manhattan, and the area is nice and lively. Great ethnic food of all types, too.

Brooklyn Heights might be good, too, if you'd rather be near lower Manhattan.

Some people love Manhattan. I do, too, just not to live.
timothypfox

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can do alright on a teacher's salary. Rentals are very pricey. The further you live out the cheaper the rent, but the longer the commute, and generally the less desirable the neighborhood.

Astoria, Queens now has 1 bedroom apartments at about $12000 - 1300 dollars a month in walking distance to the trains. Might be a little cheaper if you are ok with a 20 minute walk to the trains.

Get to get a career going. But, I feel sad for mothers trying to cart strollers up stairs or trying to raise a child here....
JLS89

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mathman: Have you gotten settled yet or do you still need recommendations on places to live in NYC?
USAMATHMAN

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 2:05 am    Post subject: Living in New York Reply with quote

@JLS. Almost forgot about this thread. Thanks for checking on me. I have been back in the U.S. since September and absolutely love East Coast. I actually decided to stay on the New Jersey side (east) of the Hudson and found a nice place in Cliffside Park.

It is a 5 minute drive to George Washington Bridge and is an absolutely beautiful area. Very convenient to NYC.
I am still debating whether or not to move to Manhattan next year.

Would love to hear your recommendations.

Thanks!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: