Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

qatar university foundation program
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
teddye38

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 10:03 am    Post subject: qatar university foundation program Reply with quote

There is no safe place to share your concerns. Critics abound in all arenas!

Last edited by teddye38 on Sun May 30, 2010 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always find these snide gossipy little remarks about internal departmental politics to be odd. Rather smacks of a personal attack to me. The stuff of beer soaked gossip at the pub... hardly appropriate for public boards. Are you after the position and hoping to affect that?

VS
teddye38

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: Honesty is not treated as the best policy Reply with quote

Inshallah, things will get better soon. Out with the old and in with the new!

Last edited by teddye38 on Sun May 30, 2010 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
scot47

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is achieved by the public airing of this sort of grievance ? Will it make things better ?
teddye38

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 4:35 pm    Post subject: Normal channels ineffective Reply with quote

Good question...nothing has been gained by airing grievances through proper channels. Nothing to lose by airing publicly.
markcmc

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Normal channels ineffective Reply with quote

teddye38 wrote:
Good question...nothing has been gained by airing grievances through proper channels. Nothing to lose by airing publicly.

Yes, there is. You waste time dwelling on the issues instead of moving on or doing something about it.
bje

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
I always find these snide gossipy little remarks about internal departmental politics to be odd. Rather smacks of a personal attack to me. The stuff of beer soaked gossip at the pub... hardly appropriate for public boards. Are you after the position and hoping to affect that?

VS

Yes, please deal with these micro-issues with those directly concerned; they mean nothing whatsoever to others reading the board who are not bound up in the interpersonal conflicts you allude to so frequently under the various names you use.
teddye38

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 10:14 am    Post subject: The truth shall set you free...or put you on the next plane. Reply with quote

It has been a difficult year with the confusing alliances and random decisions, but I remain optimistic that reason will prevail. Thank you to all those who have offered kind words of encouragement.
Never Ceased To Be Amazed

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: The truth shall set you free...or put you on the next pl Reply with quote

teddye38 wrote:
It has been a difficult year with the confusing alliances and random decisions, but I remain optimistic that reason will prevail. Thank you to all those who have offered kind words of encouragement.

Eh...teddye38...those aren't words of encouragement... Altho, the director of foundations is a well-known a$$ho**!

NCTBA
stickleback

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently ran into an old colleague. So there was another big staffing departure list - more than 20 people left, resignations and unsolicited exits, etc. So checklistchucky is still into his lists. New people at the top. It's great that mr fixit was able to get away and do something more suited to his abilities. Hope the new academic board are an improvement. Good luck.
stickleback

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:43 am    Post subject: returnees Reply with quote

I wonder why a teacher who quit after working one semester was allowed to come back (left because didn't like the place - allegedly) and good staff who asked to come back were turned down. Checklist chucky was allowed to come back twice I heard so he should let others who want to come back get rehired. Seems to be a policy of unfair practice in terms of who can come back and who can't.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you said on the other two threads where you mentioned this, the number of departures - 15 or 16% - and the various reasons (some resigned, some "not renewed," a couple absconding) is par for the course in Gulf University TEFL departments of this size.

It is always a waste of time trying to analyze any managements' decision on who and why... who is or isn't hired or fired. We all have different opinions on who is or isn't a good teacher or employee or manager. I must say that over the years, I more often questioned why some of the teachers were renewed. Laughing It was usually obvious why teachers didn't get renewed... though often not to them or their best buddies.

VS
wilberforce

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Normal channels ineffective Reply with quote

teddye38 wrote:

What was your grievance buddy? I couldn't find your grievance anywhere. Was it excised? There have been a lot of complaints about QU but things seem to have quietened down. Either things have improved or big brother is very busy. In the old days, about 4 years ago or so, there were a lot of QU whiners as well as one hot honey who dazzled all the army boys, but I figured the Gulagers had it worse at least in terms of pay and housing. As far as the turfing scene goes, QP and QU both seem to be places that shove people out when they want to replace them with fresh flesh. Not a good policy in the long run, costs more and sometimes the newbies you get are worse than the oldies put out to pasture.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The majority of the whinging that showed up here was from one or two people with a dozen screen names who posted the same thing over and over for about three years running. Their posts quickly showed the answer to why he/they were axed. Laughing We've all known a few like them in the various large foundations programs around the Gulf.

The original post was edited because it really was not appropriate for a board like this. I think the responses were pretty unanimous that this wasn't the place.

VS
wilberforce

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the explanation. I spent all of last year busy with my studies and had no time for the forum. Now that I am back in the region (my wife has gone away for a week or so so I have time to kill) I decided to check out what's been going on in Qatar. I was there twice. Once years and years ago with Bell and then came back to work with Malachy at the Aeronautical College/QP when he was running both outfits. He was a wheeler-dealer but not a crook or a shyster. QP made a mistake when they turfed him.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: