Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Job opportunities
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
icc

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
Are you Muslim? Otherwise you can't get into Saudi to job search...

VS

Yes, I am. So.. worth me buying a ticket and hunting for a position? Haven't really considered it before; but after about two months of searching I'm open to suggestions.
Sleepwalker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My suggestion is to contact colleges/universities that offer engineering.

They will be interested in your engineering qualifications and may be willing to discuss a position where your technical knowledge is used to advantage in a language learning setting.

I would also not discount teaching engineering (especially at the first year level) as it's a 50/50 content/language division.

Engineers interested in language teaching are rare and I think you could gain a good position if you emphasise this in your applications.
icc

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much Sleepwalker; I appreciate the advice.

The thing is how will I gain the contact details of these various institutions? I've come across a 'database' on the net that you can download (for a fee) containing contact details of institutions in Saudi/ME (can't remember exactly). I'm wasn't sure if this is a kind of gimmic/con.. would you recommend getting hold of it?
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your pilgrim's visa will allow you to visit Mecca and Medina. It will not allow you to travel around. The authorities do not approve of people who cynically use the fulfillment of a religious duty for other purposes.
Starfell

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come to Kuwait- on a visit visa, Saudi next door.
bedwiya

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't get into KSA from Kuwait without a visa. I don't think you can apply for a visa from here if you are not a resident. You would have to apply for the Saudi visa from your home country - you can't just simply drive across the border. You should be able to seach for the names of reputable universities online. Then send your CV directly to them - it will take some legwork - don't expect us to provide all the contact emails.
Starfell

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bedwiya wrote:
You can't get into KSA from Kuwait without a visa. I don't think you can apply for a visa from here if you are not a resident. You would have to apply for the Saudi visa from your home country - you can't just simply drive across the border. You should be able to seach for the names of reputable universities online. Then send your CV directly to them - it will take some legwork - don't expect us to provide all the contact emails.

If you come to Kuwait on a visit visa, find a job and get a work visa, then you CAN go to Saudi- either to visit, drive thru. TYou simply need to visit the embassy of the KSA and get your visa.
usa_in_gulf

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/b]Starfell wrote:

Quote:
If you come to Kuwait on a visit visa, find a job and get a work visa, then you CAN go to Saudi- either to visit, drive thru. TYou simply need to visit the embassy of the KSA and get your visa.

You are simply wrong. First of all, the Saudi embassy doesn't even process visas directly. A person has to use one of the embassy approved offices located throughout Kuwait to apply for a visa. I can "drive thru" or visit using my Kuwaiti passport (well, not really--my husband has to do the driving!) but someone not possessing a GCC passport has to apply for an Umra or Haj visa--or be invited by a Saudi entity for a business visa. There is a three day "traffic/driving" visa--but that is usually given to Muslim truck drivers--moving goods from UAE/Bahrain thru Saudi to Kuwait.

And its important to note the visa processing offices don't like to process Umra or Haj visas for people who intend to drive themselves into Saudi. They are going to take you on their bus. You are their responsiblity--because they are sponsoring you---promising the Saudi embassy that you will come back to Kuwait and not engage in any illegal activities while in Saudi---like go job hunting.

[/quote]
Starfell

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering how my ex pat friends drove through there in the 1980s.
usa_in_gulf

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starfell wrote:

Quote:

Even though a number of people on this board don't want to believe it-- things do have a tendency to change in 30 years!! And most often change a lot!

I am "wondering" how your friends ""drove through there" in the 1980's also. In the 80's, the applying for a Saudi visa in Kuwait was much more difficult than it is now. Even if they were Muslim--and wanted to apply for Umra/Hajj visas--during that time frame--most people had to apply through thier home countries. In the late 80s, prior to receiving my Kuwaiti passport, I was able to apply for an Umra visa in Kuwait because my husband is Kuwaiti. Even then, I had to produce documentation proving that I was Muslim.
Starfell

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

usa_in_gulf wrote:
Starfell wrote:

Quote:

Even though a number of people on this board don't want to believe it-- things do have a tendency to change in 30 years!! And most often change a lot!

I am "wondering" how your friends ""drove through there" in the 1980's also. In the 80's, the applying for a Saudi visa in Kuwait was much more difficult than it is now. Even if they were Muslim--and wanted to apply for Umra/Hajj visas--during that time frame--most people had to apply through thier home countries. In the late 80s, prior to receiving my Kuwaiti passport, I was able to apply for an Umra visa in Kuwait because my husband is Kuwaiti. Even then, I had to produce documentation proving that I was Muslim.

OK I'm a liar.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say that you are not a liar. Laughing

I know of people who supposedly managed to get very short-term "transit visas" in order to drive through Saudi from Qatar and the UAE... so it is or was probably possible from Kuwait too. But, I paid no attention to how they did it since as a female, it wasn't an option for me anyway.

All I recall is that they complained that it wasn't easy and took a long time to get. (ie... that they couldn't do it on a spur of the moment whim)

VS
Starfell

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Veiled Sentiments, the people who come to mind actually are a British family of four.
usa_in_gulf

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So--- just so that I understand this correctly--someone heard of a British family in the 80s who "drove through" Saudi-- and again, someone heard of some people in Qatar and UAE who "supposedly" received transit visas to enter Saudi---and because of these two "incidents" its ok to give someone false and misleading advice about how to get into Saudi via Kuwait to search for a job in 2010???

Quote:

Again, this "advice" is incorrect--no matter what someone heard may have happened in the 80s--its 2010.

As I stated:

Quote:
There is a three day "traffic/driving" visa--but that is usually given to Muslim truck drivers--moving goods from UAE/Bahrain thru Saudi to Kuwait.

And again, these are issued through offices that "guarantee" the applicant to the Saudi embassy-they usually have a business arrangement with the various companies whose drivers they sponsor. Is it possible to convince them to sponsor an "ordinary" individual one? Anything is possible--is it likely? Most likely not.

People ask questions on this board to gain information to make a more informed decision concerning their career. These decisions have major impact on them--their families--their income, etc. What someone heard happened in the 80s or what someone possibly did in Qatar/UAE--is of little or no importance. And I guess we will just ignore that fact that searching for employment while on a "transit visa" is completely illegal throughout all of the Gulf countries.

What would have happened if the OP followed this advice??? What if he actually thought this was correct?? What if he actually bought a ticket and went to Kuwait?
15yearsinQ8

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

usa_in gulf,
Would you like a valium, my dear?
Chill, darling. Chill.
With all due respect to Mr. Sperling, this site is not that important in the grand scheme of life. Chill.

May I remind some of the posters on this thread to choose their battles wisely? Muck fe but some of you want to be right all the gosh darned time.
Geez, I wonder what would happen if some of you actually RAN schools.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: