Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AMERICAN UNIVERSITY OF THE MIDDLE EAST (Kuwait)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Starfell

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear, well that doesn't sound good......
sliderama

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my skype interview with these jokers had half the face of one of the interviewers on-screen and the other off-screen. They seemed to play 'good cop bad cop' with their choice of questions, with the off-screen woman asking 'hard' questions like: what is your current salary? is your degree online? why are you leaving your job? the half on-screen woman seemed friendly enough but the whole thing was rather off-putting and didn't seem professional, imo. best avoid this outfit, esp. after reading the various postings here....
Starfell

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think one of the women used to be head of elementary at American academy for Girls- maybe she's used to dealing with 4 year olds..........
abayawearer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starfell, I think you're right.

BTW...MenInTights got rejected for another go 'round.
Starfell

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

abayawearer wrote:
Starfell, I think you're right.

BTW...MenInTights got rejected for another go 'round.

???!
kdredsea

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:14 pm    Post subject: Interview Reply with quote

I had an interview with Amira just yesterday--the Skype call happened on time, and she was very congenial and professional. I can't say I know a heck of a lot about the school itself, but my experience thus far (and I have a subsequent interview next week) has only been positive. I will post again after further enlightenment.
metalval

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:10 am    Post subject: question Reply with quote

I want to apply there for the position of English Instructor. I went to the website but I didn't see any vacancies. Any help?
kdredsea

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: AME Reply with quote

They have a listing on Dave's Int'l Job Board...
zippy2k

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Skype interview with AUM this Wednesday. Thanks for the info already posted here about what that might entail. IMHO for Purdue and the University of Calgary to affiliate with them they must be doing something right...
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zippy2k wrote:
IMHO for Purdue and the University of Calgary to affiliate with them they must be doing something right...

Do not be fooled by such as this. It is pretty much meaningless unless one of them is actually running it... and they're not, it seems.

VS
kdredsea

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:43 am    Post subject: Interview#2 Reply with quote

see longer recent comment below

Last edited by kdredsea on Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Starfell

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a word of warning kdredsea: ''she'' will be reading this website, and will be aware that you have been seeking out information on the place.......just a thought.
BlueRainbow

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:46 am    Post subject: Word of warning Reply with quote

"Just a word of warning kdredsea: ''she'' will be reading this website, and will be aware that you have been seeking out information on the place.......just a thought." from Starfell

Of course she/he/they/employers will be reading this. Just take a gander at this bloke Kuwait Teacher and all his malarkey!
Absobloodylootley had me in stitches!
jveeds

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also had a Skype interview with them and the video worked fine. As all Skype users know, sometimes it works fine, sometimes the video is just taking up too much bandwidth and you have be content with voice...and sometimes it's just going to be typing.
kdredsea

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:01 pm    Post subject: AUE--in a box. Reply with quote

Long story, much shorter: was flown to Kuwait (economy). Long flights (3 combined from east coast of U.S). Was picked up at airport by hotel car as promised. Arrived at hotel late at night; no one from the University called me or checked on my status. Received an early morning call from AUE asking if I were ready to deliver my requisite 15-minute presentation--and could I be ready in less than an hour. Ok--driven to "university"--two buildings, really, only one of which I saw the inside--and of that, only two rooms.
I was ushered within and put in a waiting room; ultimately the same HR rep came and retrieved me, and walked me over to a conference room. Set up computer for presentation. Two Kuwaitis walked in; I was given their names but not their positions or affiliations with the University. They watched my presentation and took notes. Was told after the presentation was "most excellent." Then the interrogation began. Initially, same questions I had answered over the course of two Skype interviews. Then one of the Kuwaitis begins his questioning by asking me why I have had so many positions over twenty years--I like living in other countries, I reply, traveling and working, not the typical two-week tourist. He's getting at something else though, I can tell, and then asks me "was your father a preacher?" Huh? He then begins to talk about how my presentation indicated a different kind of "philosophy," and wonders where I learned it. I then realize, as he asks me about it, I had left on my CV the tidbit that I had worked at a Jewish academy in CA in the 90's for a few months. "Tell me about this Hebrew Academy," he asks. I then realized the whole interview was now about painting me as a proselytizer of Judeo-Christianity. This line of questioning went on until I said, "I am not a Zionist, if that's what all this means." "Oh no," he said, and "anyway, we value diversity in our school. We just want to make sure the teachers in our classrooms are teaching the right way." End of interview. Was then led back into the containment room, re-interviewed by another HR officer, asked same Hr-type questions, told nothing about the school or the job, and then told I could go back to my hotel.
Final notes: They paid for the flight, but did not give any per diem for meals. They left me in the hotel for two days without a phone call or check in, and since the hotel was fairly high-end and not close to anything, I ended up spending roughly $220 on meals and a taxi ride to the mall for momentary escape. If you look on Purdue's website, they mention no affiliation with AUE. Why a school would spend close to $4000 on a flight and hotel to interrogate me for twenty minutes, when they could have done that via Skype, is beyond my comprehension--though perhaps they need to tell Purdue they are actively interviewing people, just to do so.

Make of this what you will. If you've been to KSA, you'll recognize it all over Kuwait, in the trashy streets, the dun-colored buildings, the malls looming as integral elements of local culture, the horrific drivers (male and female--how progressive) the indentured servants/TCN's doing all the work. Have fun. Good night and Good luck, AUE.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 3 of 11

Jump to: