Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Venezuela

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:26 am    Post subject: Venezuela Reply with quote

I"m currently looking at a position in Venezuela, with Inlingua.
HOw are things in Venezuela now? I've seen the news, but would like to hear from people who have been there recently.
Also how is Inlingua?
moonraven

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Venezuela is a great place to visit--I have been there 3 times in the past year--in support of the Bolivarian Revolution, mainly, but also spent a couple of weeks in November in Ciudad Bolivar and in the Gran Sabana. If you can avoid air-conditioned buses you will be able to travel without getting pneumonia!

Caracas can be a tense place--especially if you respond with horror to the 24/7 exhortations to kill president Chavez that are on t.v. The mass media is one of the most savagely politicized in the world. But movies are cheap, as well as other cultural events. My main complaint besides the mass hysteria that the "escualidos" try to generate is the insipid food--especially yucca and those grease-laden billiard balls called arepas. (I have been in Mexico for 10 years--where it's difficult to get a bad meal.)

Salaries are low--but that's the case for all over South America. If you have dollars saved to supplement your income, you can change those on the black market for 2800 bolivares instead of the official rate of 1920.
lozwich

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I was thinking of applying with Inlingua at one point and did a search on the whole of Dave's to see what came up. I know each school within a franchise or network is different, but I got the impression that they're the kind of work you into the ground and pay you nothing type of setup.

But, I haven't ever spoken to anyone who's worked for them..

Lozwich.
moonraven

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be a clue that they don't hire anyone over 35....
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I told them no. The pay is about 375 a month. rent costs half that. You have to go to the company to give classes and classes can be anytime between 7 in the monring and 8 at night. Yuck!
moonraven

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thinking! Sounds like a typical Venezuela language school scheme, all right. My comment about not hiring over 35 was not frivolous. When I was actually thinking about trying to work in Venezuela instead of just visiting and soaking up Chavez' energy--this was a couple of years ago--the owner of one school said he couldn't see someone my age hanging off of buses and "parachuting" down (buses in most of South America don't really come to a full stop to let passengers get off)--another joint that expected teachers to run all around the city to teach clients....Sounds like one needs to go to marines basic training first.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: