Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WHY do you love working in the ME ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What makes you a ME junkie ? Check all that apply.
1. The money
42%
 42%  [ 3 ]
2. The cleaniness of the ME
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
3. The Desert, Camels, Sea, and Wadis
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
4. It's the best lifestyle for an English Teacher to be found in TEFL in your opinion
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
5. It is nice and warm all the time
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
6. You are in love with a local
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
7. You are a �culture vulture�
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
8. All of the ABOVE
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 7

manonatrain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 11:08 am    Post subject: WHY do you love working in the ME ? Reply with quote

I have been reading the positives and negatives by all of us for
so long I have decided to post a poll. Feel free to hate me for my outspoken opinions but participate in this poll for the heck of it....

THE NEW VERSION...since I am new to POLL writing...I realize it requires more forethought...

CHECK AS MANY AS APPLY TO YOU.

Last edited by manonatrain on Mon Jan 26, 2004 3:13 pm; edited 4 times in total
johnslat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 12:47 pm    Post subject: Polls apart Reply with quote

Dear manonatrian,
Much as I'd like to vote, I really can't. Why? Glad you asked. Because it's impossible to choose just one of the above, plus the fact that some of my reasons aren't even listed. The money was definitely an big attraction, but
so were the following:
1. I loved my job there, The students were, on the whole, good; the administration pretty much left us alone to do what was needed and my colleagues were great (with very few exceptions).
2. I enjoyed the opportunity to observe a society (Saudi Arabia) so very different in so many ways from the ones I was used to, a society, moreover, that was in many ways in flux, trying to adapt to new ideas and new influences.
3. I liked having few outside diversions; that gave me more time to read and, over the years, to learn more about myself - and to change ( for the better, it's hoped).
Regards,
John
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with John .

How about "all of the above", except the last, and possibly the second.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to be repetitious, but I too would choose all of the above except the last. If I were thinking about Oman, I would certainly choose number 2 and if I were thinking about Cairo, I would have to exclude it. Smile

Like John I would also have to add the culture and particularly the students.

Come to think of it, I might be 'iffy' on the weather too. The five months of unrelenting heat pretty much s u c ked. Ahhhh, but the other 7 months were lovely.

VS
(I was just thinking about the 'love of a local' choice. In Egypt a number of women teachers were married to or involved with locals, but in my Gulf years this was very rare. In a total of 10+ years in the Gulf, I can count them on the fingers of one hand - and have fingers left over.)
ntropy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 10:19 pm    Post subject: can't Reply with quote

Can't pick just one. Numbers 1,3 and 5 here.
manonatrain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 3:14 pm    Post subject: the new version Reply with quote

Embarassed
Boy Wonder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 6:11 am    Post subject: why do you love working in the ME? Reply with quote

number six...when we aren't arguing....number one....but only on the last day of every month!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: