Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 5:44 am    Post subject: follow-up, java and activeX Reply with quote

Hello People:

First, congratulations to Omar805! You figured it out. Cool And an 'attaboy' to everyone for choosing such TASTEFUL, new & improved avatars! My eyes and my computer are resting much easier now.

Shirley had a question. You'll love the solution to this one. OK: I'm guessing you're sitting in an internet cafe', right? Well ... in order for you to see these animated avatars, java must be enabled on your computer. Internet cafes' sometimes turn off java because there is a small security risk by having it turned on. Fixing this problem (i.e. turning on java) is a rather complicated multi-step process, so you might want to just go ahead and ask someone to help you with it. If you're feeling 'lucky', you can try this:

First, open up the my computer icon on your desktop. Then open up the control panel icon. Then open up internet options. Then click on security. Then click on custom level. Now, scroll down to where you see the word java. Click on enable java (medium or high security) and then click save changes. While you're in there, make sure that activeX is enabled as well. That should do it. Laughing

Regards,
kEnt

PS: Your cute cow is most definitely waving at me!
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 7:36 am    Post subject: one final tip for avatar hunting Reply with quote

Hi there Cool

It's me again. I have just one final tip for all of you regarding avatars and then I'm outta here!

OK: I posted one URL to the bbboy gallery, and it seems to be working fine. If you want to 'browse around' on other avatar galleries and don't feel like searching on google all day long, here's what you do:

Right here on Dave's, if you see an interesting avatar and want to know where it came from, just follow these 3 easy steps:

1. put your mouse directly on the avatar itself

2. now 'right click' with your mouse

3. now click on the very last option called 'properties'

This will open up a little pop-up window which shows you the details of that avatar, including the URL from which that particular avatar came.

You can now enter that URL into your browser and go directly to the website. NOTE: To get to the main page of that website, you might have to 'shave off' the last few letters of the URL, which usually contain some 'avatar-specific-address', like .....bartsimpson2130.gif
shirley

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kent, I'm actually at home with a Dell. I followed your instructions, JAVA was enabled at high security, so I lowered it to medium, and enabled all of the activex choices and my cow still doesn't mooooove! Any other ideas?
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 8:10 am    Post subject: I'm stumped! Reply with quote

Hi Shirley:

I'm sorry that my advice didn't do the trick for your reluctant cow. But, as I mentioned in my first post, I'm really only a self-taught point-and-clicker. This one is over my head now.

Maybe some kind, computer-literate soul will come to your rescue? In the meantime, you could try upgrading Elsie's diet from dry hay to a finer quality of mixed oats. Laughing

Good luck Exclamation
kENt
shirley

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kent, It's working, I can see my cow mooove, she's waving two hooves, I had no idea! I had to go to the tools on explorer, then click on internet options and then enable java animation on websites. I couldn't get there from the control panel. Very Happy Thank you again!
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 3:27 am    Post subject: great ! Reply with quote

Shirley:

I'm glad you found the fix! I had a hunch it was the java ... and ya learn somethin' new everyday day with these darned 'puter' thingamajigs. Razz

Happy animations Exclamation
KEnT
Selyer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 5:01 am    Post subject: Can I just say... Reply with quote

...that I am having SO MUCH FUN watching you guys get the hang of your avatars and switching to new ones? Very Happy

Thanks to Kent for giving such helpful advice to everyone. Smile
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 5:16 am    Post subject: Selyer! Reply with quote

Hello Selyer!

Long-time-no-dog! Nice of you to drop in on this post. Without you, and your original dancing yellow dog which I clicked on, we'd all still be suffering from 'avatar-envy' and swearing in a variety of languages at those little red x's. Thanks also to Gerard, who provided some clear instructions on an earlier thread.

Anyway, I'm always happy to pass along the things I learn to others. Like Hard Rock Cafe', my motto has always been "Love all, Serve all." Cool

Best wishes and a HAPPY EASTER to you too,
kEnT
Selyer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 5:26 am    Post subject: Kent! Reply with quote

Hello Kent!

Well, now, I'm so glad that I got a case of avatar-envy so it could be passed on to you and you could pass it on to everybody else! Razz

What can I say, I do what I can... respond to the few posts I can actually give input on--then lurk around reading all the rest! Cool
gecko

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 6:58 am    Post subject: Text Reply with quote

If anybody wants a custom text avatar like mine pm me the text you want and the colours you want.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: