Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

University teaching jobs in Costa Rica?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Costa Rica
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:25 pm    Post subject: University teaching jobs in Costa Rica? Reply with quote

I have a MA TESOL and have taught at universities in both Japan & Korea. 6 years university teaching experience.

What are the chances of someone like me finding a job teaching at a college or university in Costa Rica?

My passport is an American one..
voltaire

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad

Last edited by voltaire on Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
voltaire

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too. I have years and years of experience, a TESL certificate, but also a wife and children - in a country that shall remain nameless- to support. Is there much of a chance of getting a good university or high school job that pays well enough for me to send money to my family, or -dare I say it- would allow the whole family to live in Cost Rica? I am not at all particular about what city or province I would live in. Very Happy

P.S. I appreciate how unlikely this all is, but if you can offer any useful information, I am grateful.
roadballmint

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Costa Rica is not as "university-going" as Japan or Korea, so finding a university job might take some more leg-work. It might be best to directly contact the English departments at various universities.

Voltaire- I doubt you would make enough money to support a family back in your home country. It might be possible to have your family come live with you in CR as the cost of living is much lower than in other countries (that is- if you don't mind living like the locals: modest apartment, eating in most days, and using public buses for transportation). However, if you want to maintain a western lifestyle it can get very expensive very fast. If you want to live in a nice house, eat out every day, and have a car, a teaching job- even a university teaching job- may not be enough to cover that. Also, you mentioned you have children. Unless your children are already fluent in Spanish, you will probably have to pay to send them to an international school. That's a huge expense and something to consider if you're bringing a family.
zeddiez

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:12 pm    Post subject: University teaching jobs in Costa Rica? Reply with quote

I almost got a job at Interamericana University in Heredia (which turned into Ulatina). Very low pay 12 hours a week for 172,000.00 per month. I said no.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Costa Rica All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: