Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sackings in HCT Abu Dhabi
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Never Ceased To Be Amazed

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mm: As far as "mamasboy" is concerned...pls don't feel the trolls. This "entity" receives much more attention that the entity deserves...

BTW, my sources report that they are getting everything that is contractually offered. Some rumours say that some are not, but they seem to be disciplinary firings...but, they are jes' that...rumours...except for the one that let that VERY expensive glass of water fly.

All they are interested in now are the calculations...

NCTBA
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the 2 day versus 30 days to depart? I had heard that only the water thrower got the 2 day option (not surprising as it sounds like it could have included as assault charge) while the rest got 30 days.

As to the contracts, many of us here have followed the Emirates for many years... nearly 20 years in my case... and never has such a blatant disregard been shown for this level of teachers. What is going on at UAEU and HCT is a disgrace to their system and brings shame to their supposed attempt to upgrade education for their youth.

I hope that many of these teachers are getting in touch with the labor ministry and definitely the press.

VS
mamasboy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:57 pm    Post subject: Sackings at HCT Abu Dhabi Reply with quote

NCTBA: Perhaps a little 'truth' posting doth bring ye a little attention. You're right...its all about CALCULATIONS, and little wonder no lines of EXPATS waiting with complaints at Labor Ministry. Folks who received 6-16mths good-bye hand-shakes are singing...."Don't Cry For Me Argentina" as we speak.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only heard of 6 month pay offs so far. According to the contract, the employer is only required to pay 6 months (or one semester, not sure how it is stated), not to end of contract. (same as the employee must give one semester notice.) Of course, many of them have nice gratuities accumulated too. Laughing Common sense would say not to make too many waves until the cash is in hand (and wired out of the country).

One thought that came to my mind is that it could very well be that the AD colleges - with their unhappy staffs - can see an influx of UAEU teachers next year and this seemed a good time to get rid of a few people who weren't considered... umm... team players... a bit too independent for some managers.

Pure speculation and unprovable... but not out of the realm of possibility.

VS
Sheikh N Bake

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shared this thread with a friend in the business sector in the real world, i.e., not in the ME. She thought we ought to find a new profession.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One must always remember that one has pretty much zero job protection in the US. Other than the very top echelons of large corporate management and a few dwindling union jobs, there are no contracts and US employees can be fired at the will or whim of the employer for any reason or no reason with no recourse.

Plus they all have to pay taxes... and their rent or mortgage... with almost no vacations and certainly no paid flight ticket when the 1-2 WEEKS finally occur.

But, perhaps you didn't inform your friend of all the details. Cool

VS
Sheikh N Bake

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...she has managed to have a far more interesting job than teaching English day after day, and for 5-6 years at a time, each time rising in ranks/responsibility. And without all the preposterous drama and seriously shabby treatment of "colleague" worker drones evidenced by this thread. Paying taxes is not a big deal if the total package of your life is good. Job security in the Middle East? Nonexistent, you know that. I'd like to print a copy of this thread and hand it out to newly-minting MATESOL students at my graduate alma mater. They might think again.

Would Einstein come work in the Gulf ME just to avoid taxes? Would any successful person, writer, exec, whatever? Would any self-respecting Japanese or Hong Kong-ese (they don't get any vacation there either, and not even any social security)? Nope--who else besides us EFL types?
mamasboy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:20 am    Post subject: Sackings at HCT Abu Dhabi Reply with quote

SnB: Implying all EFlers are 'Tax Dodgers' certainly is over generalizing on a massive scale. Please speak for your self!
Ixnae

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think he's over generalizing. Many of the U.S. teachers over here (and I'm talking Saudi / Middle East now) are "putting in their years" here exactly because of the salary *and* lack of taxes. Student loans, retirement, mortgages all come to mind as just some of the reasons we're over here working... as well as the similar to higher salary and lack of taxes on it.

Teaching in California, I was lucky to keep 1/2 my check with all of the taxes on it and everything else... even my benefits were taxed.

It's not the tipping point for most of us, but it is a an important one.

Just my 2 riyals (until I reach the UAE and have to start offering AEDs).

/tips hat to VS and SnB for all the good advice on both the Saudi and UAE threads that I've read over the past year.

...but, back to those sackings (/tries to re-rail thread (re-rail? J Slat?))

Ix
johnslat

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Ixnae,

Since a train that "jumps the track" can be re-railed (I'd say the hyphen in optional,) I don't see why the word couldn't be applied in the figurative sense, as well.

But I'd argue that the negative connotation of "tax-dodger," a term that often (though not always) implies some "shady dealing" or even outright illegality, is unwarranted if used to describe EFLers who work in the Middle East.

I agree, though, that not having to pay any taxes is certainly one of the major attractions drawing teachers to what many might otherwise consider a less than pleasant place to live and work.

Regards,
John
Sheikh N Bake

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct. And nobody said anything about tax dodging. I mentioned "avoiding" taxes which is not the same thing, but then, every single post goes over our troll mama-boy's head.
Never Ceased To Be Amazed

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheikh N Bake wrote:
...but then, every single post goes over our troll mama-boy's head.

Be careful, SnB, he is, after all, a "mamasboy"...and being that, is prone to pushing the little red exclamation point and crying to those who don't exist!

NCTBA
secretsquirrel

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ugly facts speak for themselves here. ADWC has fired a DOZEN teachers this academic year, and all for reasons TOTALLY UNRELATED to their teaching ability. Clearly there is a poisoned and polluted atmosphere at the place, and it's all the result of the grand-scale mismanagement that the place suffers from.

How on Earth will they find teachers to go work there? Even those that still work there have been forbidden from requesting transfers! It's a sinking ship, and the management seem intent on smashing it into the rocks before it goes down ... glug-glug!!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, they have fired a number of teachers and yes they will have problems getting replacements, but other than that, you are being a bit of a drama queen here. It is not as though they are going to disappear. They are not and it will merely continue to be a lousy place to work. (excuse my understatement, but I don't want to get beeped)

VS
BrownSauce

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear that many of the unfortunate teachers who were offloaded by UAEU at the last minute have been offered (ordered?) to go work at ADWC.

Whether that represents a good deal is very debatable. It might be better to go home and 'reflect' a little while rather than taking up such a poisoned chalice!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 3 of 16

Jump to: