Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A takamul teacher travel ban

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Starfell

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:08 pm    Post subject: A takamul teacher travel ban Reply with quote

An Atakamul teacher is under a travel ban as we sleep tonight, because IPE failed to transfer her work visa successfully in October, withheld her passport and did not give her warning of a case pending against her.

Shame on them.
newinSeoul

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What? That is terrible. I hope they can sort it out asap. Just goes to show just how disorganized and non caring this school is about their employees.
Starfell

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump
mideastbound

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starfell wrote:
bump

I'm sorry, but what does that mean?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mideastbound wrote:
Starfell wrote:
bump

I'm sorry, but what does that mean?

S/he is "bumping" the thread back up to the top of the page so that new people see it.

VS
mideastbound

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received an NOC today from IPE, along with instructions on how to complete the necessary steps to enter Kuwait. I am now supposed to complete a medical check up, as well as a police background check, before mailing the documents to the Kuwaiti Embassy in Washington.
Evidently, the problems that they had with the Kuwait government have been resolved.
Starfell

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mideastbound wrote:
I received an NOC today from IPE, along with instructions on how to complete the necessary steps to enter Kuwait. I am now supposed to complete a medical check up, as well as a police background check, before mailing the documents to the Kuwaiti Embassy in Washington.
Evidently, the problems that they had with the Kuwait government have been resolved.

LOL- whatever........getting an NOC is not a problem. I'll see you back here in September.....October......November....etc...etc....when you still haven't got a permanent work visa.

FYI- the Ministry of Private Education, who will (not) approve your certificate and enable you to get a work permit do not issue NOCs. They are your problem. Wait and see.

This teacher was ALREADY IN Kuwait and the MOE blocked her transfer to IPE beacuse IpE's files are CLOSED at the MOE. http://www.internationalschoolsreview.com/nonmembers/logonandsignup.htm

''Stop the human trafficking, it's not germane to domestic workers who are voiceless. Trained professionals can be caught in it too. Believe me you too can be a victim because it's least expected at your level and status. Colleagues, its that time of year again when you are anxiously looking forward to being in a new school as an international teacher. I know of the difficulties that exist in most countries where jobs are scarce and in order to support our families we will go where the jobs are. That being said, read this review carefully and take note. This is not about witch hunting its about protecting you. It's about protecting your integrity and to help to stay safe. What happened to me at this school should not happen to anyone else.

I am from a country that does not allow me to get a visa at the airport to enter Kuwait as a visitor. I was recruited locally meaning that I had a valid civil ID. I indicated that I would transfer my residency to A'Takamul International School and they agreed. They requested all my papers which I provided well in advance of the signing of the contract. What made everything interesting and dangerous from the get go is how these people saw human trafficking as a way of staffing their school.

In August two weeks before the start of school, they sent out several emails, saying that the school has changed its policy about bringing in new teachers. They had decided not to send the NOC (work permit) as it would have been of great cost to teachers. Instead they should come to Kuwait and get a visitors visa because its not illegal. When all new teachers are in Kuwait they will all go down to Bahrain and the process of residency will be done.

Suffice it to say, that was not done and interestingly, it has been the ploy used for the second consecutive year. This shouldn't have affected me because I was only transferring my residency to them.

What I learned subsequently is that the company that operated the school changed its name to Nafais Holding from IPE and for reasons unknown all files were closed in all ministries responsible for issuing NOC. What is true is that if you accept employment at A'Takamul international without a NOC sent to you in your home country, don't expect to get one when you get to Kuwait. This is especially serious for South Africans who plan to transfer.

If you are married with children, you will be responsible for paying the penalty for your spouse and children if you decide to stay and honor the fake contract you'll get from them. This is also likely to happen. too: If you transfer, and A'Takamul does not take you on their residency, your former employer can file a case against you as an absconder as has happened to me. The police will have you on their books as a person of interest, if found you can be picked up and deported as you are living in the country illegally. Please note you cannot leave the country if a case is filed against you because you would have automatically attracted a travel ban. Folks, I'm speaking from experience, it happened to me. To make matters worse, although the school created the problem and put my life at risk, they did not do anything to help me. As a matter of fact they did everything to distance themselves from me. They told me it is not their responsibility and I should go back to my old school because they cannot deal with the matter as I'm still on my former school's books.

They could pay the penalty for my over stay on my expired visa, that's all they can do. They took the decision to reimburse. They made changes to their policy without informing me.Ten days before I was ready to leave I found out purely by accident that paying the penalty would be my responsibility . At this point I also found out that it was not so simple as everyone thought, because I had a case filed against me by my former employer.

In order for me to leave they had to withdraw the case before I could pay the fine of 462KD, which I eventually got back, but not without some stress. All this took place after the date I was scheduled to leave. All flights were fully booked beyond the date my temporary visa expired. I bought a ticket for 312KD and they refused to reimburse me because they said it was not in their policy to replace tickets.

Now I'm back in my home country and believe me the cost of living is very high but nothing is worth allowing your self to be trafficked to work in a country where workers have no rights. If you go in to work on a visitors visa you will be an undocumented worker who will not benefit from anything but your salary. At the same time your life will be at risk, in that if the police catch you working on a visitors visa you will be deported. Before you are, you will be held in detention and if you are a woman you can be raped while in custody. Take note immigration often go through places of employment and will ask you for your civil ID, if you do not have a valid one you will have to leave with the immigration authority. What happens afterwards will be your story to tell. Secondly, if you are in an accident on the job you cannot report it and most importantly there is no one to protect your rights as a human being. Also if you protest any violation of your human rights the director will tell you to resign in the 3rd term to avoid from buying your return flight and paying the summer pay. At this point they gladly replace you with an assistant and parents will not mind at this time of the year.

Having read all I have said, do your research ask people who have worked at this school in the last 5 years, get on facebook and make the enquires before you pack your bags. If you do all you should do you'll find that you should rethink your decision to leave the safety of your home and country. If you make the decision to join the staff and things do not suit you, you have 100 days to leave without any reprisal from the school.''

I promise not to say ''I told you so.''
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: