Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

In need of a bit of advice......

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimmyC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:08 pm    Post subject: In need of a bit of advice...... Reply with quote

Hay

So Just got to Chile a few days ago, in La Serena. I'm staying with a friend here who is teaching english. I have been also teaching english in Thailand, Korea and Colombia for the past three months but only have a short 20hr tefl and no degree.... My friend tells me i would be better of going to Santiago to find work......

The Questions...
Do u think it would be possible for me to find a job?
Do you know of anywhere which is a good place to apply to?
Is now a good time to be looking?

Thanks for all you help...
Jimmy Very Happy
JimmyC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That should say three years not months Very Happy
SeHablaIngles

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: In need of a bit of advice...... Reply with quote

Hi Jimmy,

To be honest, if what you've written is a fair reflection of your command of the English language then perhaps you should call it quits now!! Sorry if that sounds harsh but you really need to be on your game if you want to teach English in Chile.

Santiago is definitely the place to come to in Chile to look for any kind of work. 40% of the population live here and there is a huge appetite for learning English. Schools have a minimum requirement of a recognised TEFL qualification (CELTA is the most desired right now) and a university degree is not always asked for.

I'm sure you're a stand up guy Jimmy but having read what you wrote I'd be quite hesitant to recommend any schools to you right now. It wouldn't be right, I'm afraid.

The second semester starts in a few weeks so perhaps you'll be in luck.

Take care,

El Profe

JimmyC wrote:
Hay

So Just got to Chile a few days ago, in La Serena. I'm staying with a friend here who is teaching english. I have been also teaching english in Thailand, Korea and Colombia for the past three months but only have a short 20hr tefl and no degree.... My friend tells me i would be better of going to Santiago to find work......

The Questions...
Do u think it would be possible for me to find a job?
Do you know of anywhere which is a good place to apply to?
Is now a good time to be looking?

Thanks for all you help...
Jimmy Very Happy
novia

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jimmy,

Considering this is a forum and not a job interview I wouldn't worry about your command of English. A lot of Chileans can barely speak Spanish well and learning to speak a language does not have to equal intensive study of grammar.

Good luck with your search.

Sorry El profe.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Chile All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: