Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting a job on spec in Morocco

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MichiganFan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:02 pm    Post subject: Getting a job on spec in Morocco Reply with quote

Hey fellas, sorry about the lag between my posts.

The question you're asking, if you're looking at this thread, is "Can I just turn up in Morocco and get a job?"

The short answer is, yes.

The long answer is, don't.

Someone who has left the country can give you more details as to why, but if you use your imagination, you can extrapolate.

The windows to apply for jobs here, especially in Rabat, are short. There are quite a few places, but people keep their jobs a fair bit longer than you would expect. The turnover isn't as high as you would like. Not only that, in certain cases, if you walk in off the street, they absolutely will not talk to you.

Should you wish to go my route, and I don't suggest you do, your primary objective is not to knock on doors. You have to know somebody, even peripherally. Your primary objective is to seek out other foreigners, get the lay of the land, earn their trust, and then pimp them out.

If you do it the way I did, it will take you well over six weeks to find your niche. Just like me. And this is peak hiring season.

Cheers.
nounours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so, did you end up finding a position? Do you think you will stay there? I know the ALC's can be a bit tough.... I think its not so hard to find a job, hard to find one where you can get your carte de sejour... thats the real issue.
MichiganFan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nounours wrote:
so, did you end up finding a position? Do you think you will stay there? I know the ALC's can be a bit tough.... I think its not so hard to find a job, hard to find one where you can get your carte de sejour... thats the real issue.

I have a position that's mine to lose at this point. If this is a person's final destination, however, it would be best to have the contract in hand when you get off the plane. Lots of people won't even look at you here if you're trying to get in on spec and you really, really have to know somebody to get anything done.
AdamtheJohnson

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really REALLY interested in Morocco right now. Im going to PM you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: