Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Moving to Bangalore: advice pls

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cubism

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:39 am    Post subject: Moving to Bangalore: advice pls Reply with quote

Anything you can tell me - anything.

I've lived in Asia for 20 years, in Northern India too but not in this part of India --

--I am not rich, not even close to rich
--I'm moving from another Oriental country
--I've been teaching at uni's
-- what kinds of public transportation are there?
--Is it like Delhi?
--Where is cheap housing -- an apartment would be nice, but I'm not an entrepreneur or corporate exec or corporate anything.

--Maybe I will teach little kids; maybe tutor for Bangalore uni sts --and what do you suggest? Thanks.
floydrules

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Cubism,

First up don't be worried at all, Yes B'lore is a lil expensive city but you will find all sorts of people living happily there. There are tons of colleges and schools and you will have a job in no time. If not in teaching then for sure in a BPO and a starting sal would be at least 20-25K (provided if you can speak good English). Housing is also cheap, you need to look in the right areas, away from the city would be cheaper. They are building metro at present over there so the only way of public transport is BUS and it available from 6 in the morning till 11 in the night. The only thing that will frustrate you is the Traffic. The city's population has grown enormously in the past 5 years and you will get use to of traffic in no time.
Nope it is not like delhi at all, ppl in b'lore are much more soft spoken and well behaved as compared to Delhi. They believe in living by themselves rather than bugging others (unlike delhi).
But yes things like food, petrol, movie tickets, etc are costlier than delhi
I hope this helps!
eclectic

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id like 2 work in either Chennai or Madras and would consider Hyderabad as well. A uni or good quality school would be great. If I could make 25 thousand rupees Id be happy. If after rent and food etc I could save 10 thousand rupees Id be happy.

Any advice?
wailing_imam

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

China no good Cubism?

Forget the subcontinent - sounds like your mind is already a bit mashed from China. Head to S E Asia, where the living is a tad more mellow.
Cubism

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:28 am    Post subject: More Bangalore advice? Thanks. Reply with quote

I wonder if these folks are more or less age-ist than Delhi-ites?

The only downside to Bangalore now: Costs more to fly there.

Floydrules: What are the "right areas" to look for an apt.? What's a BPO? I sort of count on tutoring more than anything. Maybe live near a uni?

Cubism
floydrules

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: More Bangalore advice? Thanks. Reply with quote

Cubism wrote:
Floydrules: What are the "right areas" to look for an apt.? What's a BPO? I sort of count on tutoring more than anything. Maybe live near a uni?

Cubism

I've already replied to your PM but a BPO is Business Process Outsourcing or simply put a Call Center Wink

Hope that helps
floydrules
Cubism

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:33 am    Post subject: Do call centers pay the employees? Mostly Scams? Reply with quote

Thanks , Floydrules. I couldn't figure out how to delete the post, but I'm gonna have to start in Delhi; not enough cash to go as far as Bangalore.

I wonder if Call Centers actually pay their "ft's?" ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> India All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: